seventeen: imbecillis

imbecillis: feeble, weak, powerless

–——

DRACO was tempted to pull an 'I told you so'.

It had been blatantly obvious that it was a trap—but Potter had said the Weaslette wasn't negotiable. They were going to save her.

But now, as Draco dragged a body behind him, he knew Potter would be more careful the next time he went sprinting straight into a trap.

"If you're going to yell at me, just get it over with," Potter forced out through gritted teeth as they crested the hill, the safehouse coming into view below them. It was the early hours of the morning, the rising sun splashing blood-red across the sky.

It matched the colour on Draco's hands.

"You don't deserve that much of my time," Draco retorted, muscles aching. He'd expected that he'd have to get involved. He had known it was a trap from the beginning. "Although you could've spared Leo's life if you'd just listened to me."

It was a low blow—because he knew Potter was weak and carried every death on his shoulders like it was his own. He saw the flash of agony over the Gryffindor's face, even as he shouldered Weasley's weight. "I don't need to be reminded."

"You sure?" They were at the bottom of the hill now, their sorry pack heading for the porch. "Because you didn't seem to want to listen when—"

"I get it, okay?" Potter hissed, dried blood streaking down the side of his face. "I get it—I just thought—"

Draco finally let go of Leo's body and turned on Potter just as Granger came up behind them, grime dusting her face. She took Weasley from Potter and with the help of Mariko, helped him hobble towards the safehouse.

Draco saw Jasper and Blaise step out onto the porch, their eyes sweeping over the group that had just returned.

"No, you don't get it," he spat, so tired he felt he could collapse. "You can't fucking argue with me. If I say it's a trap, that means it's a fucking trap. If I say we don't go, it means we don't fucking go, Potter. I don't care for your Gryffindor bullshit—it's going to get you killed one day and I am not going down with you."

Potter looked empty and forlorn standing there, his glasses shattered.

"You can't jeapordise our entire hand in this war because of your girlfriend," Draco pushed on, furiously. "You can't go rushing head-first into what you know is a trap just because you have the slightest chance of getting her back!" He saw Jasper move from the corner of his eye, his steps cautious as he approached Leo's body. "Bury him," Draco snapped, not even turning to look at him, his eyes still fixed on Potter. "You can't make us lose valuable soldiers—just because your fucking girlfriend has been captured! Not that we even know that by the way—not that you seem to care about that. She could be perfectly fine—"