chapter 46

i pull myself together— slowly— and we all slowly stand to walk out of the window seat we've found ourselves in.

it's a friday— which fortunately i still have a bit of my free period left before muggle studies.

unfortunately, i'm the only slytherin that takes muggle studies— meaning i'm headed to two hours of lonely silence.

"you could always skip, you know." blaise says to me as we walk down the hall, trailing behind pansy and theo. "i've got the next hour off before arithmancy— if you still need— i don't know." he shrugs with a small smile.

"no— thanks, though. i should just... probably go to class." i sigh, rubbing my temples to ease the tension still gathered there.

"fair enough." blaise nods his head, slipping his hands back into his pockets.

the two hours in muggle studies is hard— but bearable. i seclude myself in the back corner, and let my mind drift as i take notes on muggle communication systems. as the bell tolls— i almost don't want to leave. lunch is next, and lunch means— draco.

i reluctantly pack up my things and head out into the corridor, walking as slowly as i can down to the great hall.

when i enter, everyone's already sat. daphne next to blaise, and theo between pansy and draco on the opposite side. crabbe and goyle are sitting a bit further down, chatting amongst themselves or yelling down to draco when they've got a question.

there's pros and cons to each seat. directly next to draco, and he won't be suspicious— but i will have to interact with him a lot. i'm not sure if i'm ready for all that. next to daphne, and i'm diagonally two seats away from him. too much distance, he'll worry.

next to blaise, across from draco, seems like the best option.

with a deep breath, i tighten my grip on my bag and leave the entryway, making a beeline to the empty seat at blaise's side.

"hey, y/n, how was—?"

"hey, y/l/n, how was—?"

draco and blaise start at the same time, both raising their heads from their meals to look at me.

i flush as their sentences slow, both turning to look at each other with lowered brows as they finish saying, "muggle studies."

"um— good, thanks." i smile, sitting down and averting my eyes.

maybe i should've picked next to daphne.

draco clears his throat across the way, and i snap my head up quickly to meet his eyes.

"i was thinking we could go get lunch in hogsmeade tomorrow, yeah?" he raises his eyebrows with a small smile, swirling his spoon around in his soup.

"oh— but, all of us had plans, mate—" blaise interjects, reminding draco of our standing reservation we all attend together.

"yeah, well, mate—" draco frowns, "plans change. and i'm asking y/n to lunch, alone."

i look between the two of them, both staring at each other with straight mouths and narrowed eyes— i definitely should have sat next to daphne.

"i can go to lunch, draco." i say quietly, getting his eyes turned back to me. "we can meet up with everyone after."

draco smiles widely, nodding his head and returning to his food. i look to blaise, who glares for a second before rolling his eyes and turning his back to talk to daphne.

theo's staring at me, a confused look on his face. i catch his eye for just a moment, as he raises his eyebrows with a small smile.

"y/n, you alright? you seem a bit shaken up."