Chapter 32

Okay, okay! I know that I'm very late. But I just have these annoying exams going on and well... I've been both busy and lazy. I'm really sorry for my laziness. So... forgive me?
Here you go!
-------------------------------------

I walked out of the hospital cafeteria with a bag containing burger and fries and two takeaway cups of hot chocolate. My dear sister had shooed me out of her room, not so politely asking me to not enter unless I bring good food to her. I had to sneakily bribe the nice looking waiter to fulfill my sisterly duties.

My phone vibrated as I was walking towards Eva's room and I adjusted the bags and the cups on one hand while I searched for my phone. With great difficulty, I took it out of my back pocket and smiled at the contact name. I was starting to feel that I should change his contact name by now but it always managed to make me laugh everytime he called so I let it be.

I ignored my heart which was once again resuming what seemed to be its job everytime the devil was involved in any form and answered the call. Before I could even utter a word, however, Adrian beat me to it.

"How's Eva? How did it go?"

He sounded breathless, as if he was running and soon enough, I heard the ding of the elevator on the other side, and a small 'goodnight, Mr. Stone' from a voice that sounded like his security man. "You're still in office?" I asked him.

I heard him sigh wearily. "Yes. There were some things to do for tomorrow. It's an important day so we can't take any chances. But I'm done now."

At his words, I felt gratefulness and guilt at the same time. Gratefulness, because he saved my business deal despite his busy schedule, and guilt because he saved my business deal despite his busy schedule. But before I could voice out my thoughts, he spoke again.

"You didn't answer my question. Let me out of my misery, woman! Tell me, is Eva okay?" 

I smiled at his concern, my heart immediately feeling with happiness as I remembered that Eva was, in fact, going to be okay. I nodded with a wide smile on my face before realising that he couldn't see me. I shook my head at my stupidity and cleared my throat before speaking.

"Yes, Adrian! Eva is going to be okay! Oh my God! You should've seen her face, at how happy she looked! I still can't believe that Eva is gonna be just fine. She's not completely there yet, but Brandon says that she'll be able to walk by two weeks!"

I rambled everything in a single breath and then remembered something. I narrowed my eyes through the phone, despite this time knowing that he couldn't see me. My voice might come out with a greater effect with narrowed eyes.

"Didn't you ask Brandon?"

I heard silence from him, followed by a string of some not so nice words.

"Shit! I forgot about him. I saw his missed call but I wanted to talk to you first. And besides, I'd kind of... forgotten about him..." He trailed off. 

I rolled my eyes at his answer but couldn't hold on the smile that had been threatening to break free. Just then, I heard a soft click followed by the small purr of his super smooth car engine. I leaned against the wall as I imagined him leaving his office with his phone pressed to his ear. He didn't wait to get home or call Brandon first before calling me, which gave a signal to those weird butterflies that had permanently made up their residence in my stomach to resume their dance. 

"Oh." I replied when I didn't know what to say. The moment was getting a little intense for my liking so I decided to change the topic. "Leah called me earlier. Thank you so much for attending that meeting and saving the deal. You were busy but you still attended that meeting on my behalf. I can't thank you enough for what you've done today. So, thanks, Adrian."