The End Of It All

Note: this chapter is quite long because we are reaching the end of the story.

Eirene sailed across the Aegean Sea to the island of Skyros. On the far side of the island, hidden in a sea cave was a temple for Poseidon. The burial place of many sirens. She always believed that one day she would be laid to rest there, but now, she knew that she wouldn't be buried anywhere. Not because she would never die, but because she didn't want to leave any part of her behind.

She stepped off the boat onto the dock, staring the mountain and the surrounding houses. Off to her left was a man standing in front of a cab. She approached him and asked him to take her around to the other side of the island, near the caves. Stepping out of the car, she stepped up to a wall of rock at the base of the mountain. 

Etched into the rock was a small trident, signaling the entrance to the cave. Glancing behind her, she watched as the sun was slowly setting, and as it touched the horizon, a beam of light hit the etching, and it turned a beautiful, golden color. She placed her palm on top of the trident, and whispered an incantation. 

The rock began to shake, and crumbled a bit as a door opened, revealing a series of steps leading down into a cave. As she descended into the cave, it got darker and darker, till she was forced to light the torches mounted to the wall. They each burst into flames, one by one, lighting up the path down towards the cave. She took slow steps, each one filled with dread, and yet resolve.

Yet the closer she got, the more at peace she was. Her entire life was spent in this one great chase, never really having a moments rest, never getting to have a life. And now, she had lost everyone. She was truly alone. And all she wanted, was some peace. Finally. She felt like she deserved that. And maybe, just maybe, now was her time.

When she reached the bottom of the steps, her shoes softly clacking against the stone, she entered a small passageway that led into a larger cave. The cave was the size of a palace, with a giant opening in the wall of rock that allowed the seawater in and out. The water smacked against the wide, flat piece of rock that jutted out from the interior wall, and stretching out into the water were a series of floating stone steps that led out to enormous, marble statue of Poseidon, with smaller statues of sirens surrounding it at the base. Directly in front was a large platform of rock, with marble pillars encircling it. 

There, stood her sister, her hands lifted to Poseidon in prayer. She didn't flinch, or move a muscle as Eirene started towards the water.

"Welcome, dear sister," Circe started, just as Eirene's foot touched the first stone. "I'm so pleased you could make it. Now, you shall see what true power is." She turned around to face her, a look of triumph on her face. 

She wore a style of peplos, made out of a mixture of chiffon and silk, the color a deep blue with tinges of black. The dress had no back, but there were streams of chiffon that glided along behind her, and a slit in the dress that rode up to the top of her thigh. Around her neck was a silver chain with a single pearl. On her fingers she wore a few rings with golden bands and onyx stones.

"What are you doing here, Circe?" She called as she treaded slowly along the stones.

"This is the final resting place of Poseidon, where all his powers lie dormant, waiting to be claimed by his heir. And that will not be you," Circe narrowed her eyes. "If anyone is going to claim his power, it will be me. And I will use it to transform this world, make it anew, and bring under my reign, and this world will know what it truly is to fear. For too long," she continued as she turned to face the statue once more, "sirens have lived in anonymity, have hidden in the shadows afraid to show their faces. It was easier during a time when there weren't as many technological advance, when men couldn't plug their ears to keep from hearing the song, when they couldn't pull out a gun and shoot us from a safe distance."