Chapter 10

We walk down the streets, just enjoying each other's company. This has been a long time since we had a girls' afternoon. "So mom, about this morning. I'm sorry about my behavior. I promise you it won't happen again." I tell her softly. "I know Sofia. It's understandable you reacted like that." Mom answers in understanding.

"No mom, it's not an excuse. My behavior went out of line. I'm in no position to speak to you like that because you were always there for me when I needed you." I tell her firmly. "Sofia, I've been your age as well. Did you know I detested your father when we first met?" Mom questioned me with a small grin. "No?" I ask curiously.

"Well, your father was an actual player at the time and he was dating my best friend. When their relationship got to an end, your father and I didn't have a good understanding of each other. I couldn't understand why he ended their relationship. But to make a long story short. Your father was in love with me, and that's why he ended his relationship with my friend. So you see, your father had to work hard to regain my trust. It took him a year until I finally saw him as the man he truly was. And from that day we've been inseparable."

"Dad a player?" I giggle, can't imagine my father in his early twenties with the ladies drooling all over him. "Your father was a handsome man, Sofia." Mom smirks, playfully winking at me. "Is a handsome man." Mom adds quickly. Together we break into a burst of small laughter. "Thanks for the info though," I tell her with a bright smile. Together we walk to our favorite restaurant, seating ourselves at the window.

The server picks up our orders and leaves as quickly as he came. "Sofia, I want you to be comfortable with me for talking about men in your life," Mom admits seriously. "I know. It's a habit of mine to not talk and keep quiet. It's not only with you. Tessa can get angry too when I shut her out." I explain to her softly, seeing the leaves fall from the trees outside.

"I'm happy you're not all alone in New Orleans. I would have been restless if I didn't know you have nobody to share your daily thoughts with." Mom tells me honestly. I smirk at her worried expression. "What? It's like I have said before. You're still my baby girl. It doesn't matter if you are twenty-three or five. You'll understand me better if you'll have children." Mom smiles warmly. I nod quietly.

Me children? It seems so far away. I want children when I'm a little older. But most importantly, I'll only think about having children when I have a stable relationship with someone I love and trust. I sigh and look out of the window. I would give everything to know about my future husband. It doesn't need to be prince charming, but he must be respectful and caring.

"What are you thinking?" Mom questioned me curiously. "I'm thinking about my future husband." I chuckle nervously about my silly thoughts. "I know it's silly," I add quickly. "It's not silly, my dear. It's normal you fantasize about your future." Mom encourages me with her warm smile. "Well, I was always the rational type, so I'm not used to dreaming about my future. I never looked further away than school and getting a job." I murmur.

Our server brings our lunch and places everything skilfully on the table. "Everything looks amazing." Mom gushed, sending a thankful smile toward our server. "Enjoy your meal, ladies," The man responds politely before leaving us. "I'm so happy you ordered this. I've missed the food so much back in New Orleans." I gushed. "Don't they have Tai restaurants in New Orleans?" Mom chuckled. "They do, but none as good as this one." I blurted before placing some rice on my plate.

Together we ate in silence, just enjoying our time. After an hour we headed back to the parking lot where we parked the car. I look around, trying to remember where exactly we parked our car. "Mom, I've such a terrible memory. It wasn't where we parked the car, right?" I ask her sheepishly. "Sofia, you are still horrendous with parking lots." Mom giggled. I laugh along and followed mom to the second row of the parking lot.