Chapter 11

POV Michael

One year ago

"Now, I have them where I want them. This will be all over very soon. All the lies and meaningless words will be in vain when I take over his company. They will be in a state of agony when I'm finished with them. Blood or no blood. This has come to an end. The final arrangements are closing in and then their dictator life will be over. They won't see it coming, because they taught me to play my role properly. I haven't put out of my mask for six years now, since I left Oregon.

There's only one thing I need to do now. I look out of my window toward my old house. So many memories, but the good ones were still as fresh as it happened yesterday. Sofia sleeping, her head resting on my chest. Her dark locks entwined with my hand. How I enjoyed running my finger through her stubborn locks. But that was the last pleasant moment in this God damn house with her.

I drove off to one of the hardest parts I had to do. Hopefully she'll understand. I always have had a special bond with Sofia's mother. She was caring and loving, nothing compared to my mother. When I was a little boy, I imagined I had a mother just like Ginny. A mother that comforts you, gives you love and attention. I would have been so content with other parents, but it is what it is. They made me this way and they won't see the storm that's already hiding over their heads. Their son made a storm for them. The last gift I'll give them because they deserve it.

My heart is full of hatred and doubts. Doubting myself isn't an issue anymore, but hating myself and others around me seems to be a huge, never-ending problem. I'm so done with fake people, mighty people, and especially people that don't deserve a good life. Deep down in my heart, I'll know Ginny will understand why I did it because, in the end, it was all for her health and my love for her daughter.

When arriving at the Santos house, I hesitate for a quick moment, holding my bearings. "She'll understand it. She's not like your mother." I whisper to myself. Locking the car, I make my way toward their small, modest house. A strange feeling of contentment overwhelmed me. It's like coming home. I felt so welcome and appreciated here. I felt heard, my thoughts and opinions acceptable, like I was a part of their family.

I gulp and knock on the door. I knew Cody and Carlos weren't here because I wanted to speak to Ginny alone without all the fuss and manly testosterone present. After a few seconds, Ginny opens the door, her smile changing into a confused one. She didn't know if she would smile or not, but like I know Ginny, she's just too kind to give me an angry face. "Michael, what brings you here?" She asked hesitantly. "I want to speak with you if you can spare a few minutes of your time for me," I tell her gently.

"Of course," She answers, opening the door for me. "Thank you," I reply shortly. I look around, seeing nothing has changed since I left Oregon. A few minor details had been changed, but the smell and warmth greeting me have been the same as it always had been. "Please sit." Ginny slides a chair underneath their dining table. I nod and lower myself carefully. "You look very good, miss Santos. I'm glad you are healthy again." I inform her. "Thank you, Michael. I can only thank you for that." She replies with a warm smile.

"I came here because I wanted to talk to you about the past, about why I've left." I stammer a little, unsure, feeling myself getting nervous. "I'm listening." Ginny answers calmly, her calm demeanor gives me the push I need to carry on. "Where do I start... As you know, my parents are quite demanding when it comes to me and my future. When they met Sofia, both of them weren't happy about me dating her. Sofia was too plain, too poor, especially to date their son." I gulp by hearing myself talk.

"So you can guess they never would have accepted my relationship with your daughter. When the news came you were sick, I asked for a part of my money that they kept hidden in the bank until I became twenty. The money I needed for your surgery." I tell her calmly. Ginny fidgets with the tablecloth. She nods in encouragement and I continue.

"So I made them a deal. If I got the money and help to get you the surgery you needed, I would leave Sofia like they wanted to. They agreed and now I'm here." I stop talking, my eyes fixated on a painted flower on her tablecloth. "Michael," Ginny rests her hand on mine. "It was very noble what you did for me, but I rather wish you didn't do it because my daughters' happiness comes before my own. But I understand your decision completely." She calmly tells me.

"You aren't mad at me?" I ask her hesitantly. "Of course not. Michael, you were young and in love. You did what you thought was best for Sofia." Ginny explains softly. "I maybe have broken her heart, but if you had left her it would devastate her. So I made the choice. It was you are me and I decided to move away from her and help you instead." I explain to her.

"You're such a strong and good man, Michael." Ginny pinches my hand gently. "No Ginny, I'm not what you think I am," I tell her abruptly. "You are mistaken, Michael. I've plenty of human knowledge when it comes to people, and I'm always right. My gut feelings never fail me." She admits proudly. I nod and swallow hard.

I stand up and compose myself. "Ginny, I want to ask you one thing. Give me the chance to tell Sofia the truth. I can't tell her now, but it won't last long, I promise." I instruct her gently. "Of course, can I ask you one thing too?" Ginny stands up from her seat. I nod and await her response. "Do you still love her?" Her question startled me. She's as feisty and bold as her daughter. I rather talk with straightforward people than the fake ones with a plastered smile on their faces. It's a question I don't need to think about for long. I knew then she was my true love.

"There isn't one day that goes by I didn't think of her," I tell her honestly, opening the door. I turn my head toward Ginny, a small smile appearing on her face. "Then never give up on her because deep in her heart she still loves you. You only need to dig deep enough to find it." She tells me, a peaceful expression on her face.

I exhale loudly and nod. "I will."