Chapter Seventy-two

This chapter is dedicated to zgre_0112 Thank you for all the votes!!! I really appreciate your support.

Ellyn attempts to follow me as I rush past the hallway to the exit, but I don't stop to chat.

"Are you really gonna let her get to you like this?" She finally shouts as I march to my car.

"It's safe to say I already have," I say loud enough for her to hear.

She reaches me when I stop to unlock my car.

"Jess?" She calls pleadingly. "It's Brittany we are talking about here. Come on! Don't let her upset you."

"The people you call friends don't exactly have your back. They probably laugh behind your back about how gullible you are. What the hell does that mean? How am I gullible? And history is repeating itself?"

"She's trying to get to you. You know how she is. She hates seeing people happy, especially you."

She also said Liam has been depositing money into Elliot's account. Where would she get that idea?

"I need to go," I tell her. "I have a few questions for Liam."

Ellyn looks positively panicked. And I frown.

"If it is something she said, I wouldn't worry too much. She is out to get you. Don't let her come between you and Liam."

I take a calming breath and nod. I am going to have a conversation with Liam, but I don't want to explain myself to Red.

"Yeah, okay," I say. "You're probably right."

She relaxes a little, but keeps eyeing me warily.

"What was that about though?" She asks.

"I have no idea." I open the Car door. "I'm sorry I'm leaving like this. See you tomorrow?"

She nods.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it. Thanks for the help."

I give her a strained smile and step into my Car.

I watch in the rearview mirror as Red stands in the parking lot, watching until I disappear out of sight. I don't know why, but I find it unsettling.

After a few minutes on the road, my phone starts buzzing. I glance at it and watch Steff's face flashing on my screen. I let it go to Voicemail, figuring I could just call her back once I get there, but my phone starts buzzing again. And again.

I pick it up and put it on speaker.

"Jess?" She calls. And I immidiatly recognize the tone.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"It's... well, Ryan and I just broke up."

"Oh! How did that happen?" I ask.

"We both knew it was coming. Hell, everyone knew. It was just a matter of who would pull the plug, and I did. The spark has fizzled, and now all we do is bicker. It's so exhausting. This is what I get for dating someone based purely on physical attraction."