Chapter 15

Asami held onto the ferry's railing despite its flaking coat of paint, staring across the bay at Air Temple Island. Dawn broke on the horizon, its pink and orange rays smudged by early morning mist, and a cool breeze blew through her hair. They welcomed her home in a way the familiar sights and smells of the Republic City train station hadn't. She breathed a sigh of relief.

Yasu. Hiro. Soon, I'll be able to hold you again.

They were all Asami had thought about since leaving Yi. She'd remained silent and morose the previous day, sticking to the background while Korra and the others secured the compound, hauled Ho and his soldiers to the governor, and returned Ziwen's pups home, with their mother's gracious thanks. Asami had smiled, even wept a little, as she witnessed the tender reunion, but only now did her heart truly feel light again.

"Ready to wake up our sleepyheads?"

Asami turned to see Korra striding across the deck. Even if she hadn't recognized her mate's voice, she would have picked up on the alpha's reassuring scent beneath the smell of salt on the wind. Korra had a spring in her step and a happy sparkle in her eyes, and Asami knew the reason why. Her mate was just as excited to see their pups as she was.

"You could have been there half an hour ago if you'd taken your glider, you know."

Korra stuck out her lower lip, pouting at the very idea. "And miss Yasu seeing her Mama for the first time in four days? I don't think so. Hiro will be happy too, even if he can't say so in words yet."

Asami closed the remaining distance between them. Korra took the hint, wrapping an arm around her waist to protect her from the early morning chill.

"We should find a gift for Pema," Asami said, "to thank her for looking after them."

"Already done. I dipped into our shared account to buy her a membership to the Fragrant Lotus Spa before we even left Republic City. She'll get a weekly massage for the rest of the year."

"Oh?" Asami arched an eyebrow. "What inspired that idea?"

"Nothing." A grin crept across Korra's face. "Why, are you jealous?"

"Maybe a little," Asami admitted.

"You already have a lifetime membership to Korra Massage Therapies, Incorporated." Korra leaned in, her breath tickling Asami's ear as she whispered. "I hear they occasionally provide extra services for beautiful omegas."

Despite the brisk temperature, Asami's face flushed. Nevertheless, she couldn't let Korra's teasing go unanswered. "Oh, really?" She snuggled closer against Korra's side. "How are their facials, though? Because that's what I'd go to the Fragrant Lotus Spa for."

Korra sputtered with laughter. "You," she chuckled, struggling to catch and keep her breath, "are terrible."

"This is why Mako dumped us," Asami deadpanned.

That had Korra howling. "Our dumb senses of humor?" she asked between gasps.

"Exactly. No one else would have us, so we picked each other."

Korra removed her arm from Asami's waist, eyes widening with mock indignation. "Are you saying you settled for me, Mrs. Sato?"

"Indeed, Mrs. Sato," Asami drawled. "The Avatar, master of all four elements and the sire of my pups, was my last pick. Lucky you."

They continued bantering until the ferry pulled into the dock. As soon as the anchor dropped, Asami hurried off the ship and up the path toward the temple. "Hey, take it easy," Korra said, jogging to keep up. "The pups aren't going anywhere. They're probably still snoozing."