[ 5 ] that was some goodbye

THAT WAS SOME GOODBYE

ASPEN, accompanied by Jackson and Danny, were sat in a diner just on the boarder of Beacon Hills, catching up on everything they had missed from each other over the summer. They talked about everything from relationships to summer flings (or lack there of).

"I still can't believe you and Lydia finally made it official." said the brunette sat across from the two boys as she took a sip out of her vanilla milkshake.

"It happened not too long after you left for Europe." the Whittemore boy replied.

Aspen and Jackson had always been friends, but there was a secret that the two of them held that no one else knew, mainly because the pair of them agreed to never speak or think about it ever again.

2 MONTHS AGO

Aspen Carter was in the middle of packing her suitcase for her summer away when there was a knock on her bedroom door.

"Hello?" she said, not turning around to see the door, assuming it was her mom or dad. She only turned to the door when she heard a voice that did not belong to either one of her parents.

"Hey, your mom let me in." said the voice of Jackson Whittemore. Aspen gave the boy a smile, as did he return it.

"Jackson, hey. What's up?" said the Carter girl, placing the blue shirt that was in her hands on her bed.

"I just know that you're leaving soon so I wanted to make sure I got a goodbye." he replied, entering her room and closing her door behind him.

"Oh come on, you know you would've got one." she smiled.

Jackson fell quiet, standing in the middle of the girl's bedroom as she stared at him perplexed.

"You're not getting soppy on me, are you? I'm gonna have enough of that with Scott and Stiles." she joked, tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her hair.

"It just won't be the same around here without Aspen Carter." said Jackson, smiling softly at Aspen. "Beacon Hills is gonna get boring with you out in Europe."

"It's just for the summer, Jackson. I'll be back before you know it." Aspen smiled. "Maybe you can finally get around to asking Lydia out?"

"How come you're so eager for that?" the boy chuckled.

"Because what I'm hoping is that once she's finally unavailable that Stiles will get over her. It would be a win-win for the both of us." Aspen explained, walking over to her closet to grab some more clothes to pack. Jackson let out a chuckle at the girl's words. A couple seconds passed in silence before he spoke up again.

"Aspen can I tell you something?" he said softly, walking further over to the girl, taking the denim shorts that were in her hands and placing them down so he had her full attention.

"Yeah, of course, what's up?" she asked, now giving her undivided attention to the boy in front of her.

"I think you deserve someone who actually has eyes for you, and only you." he said smiling down at her. Those words tugged at Aspen's heart slightly, she knew Stiles didn't see her the way that she saw him, but she never really spoke about it out loud. In that moment, Jackson stepped closer to Aspen, neither one of them breaking the eye contact they shared.

"Well can you name anyone that would fit that description?" she whispered nervously, her heart racing slightly. The proximity between their bodies was closing by the second, and she didn't know why it was increasing her heart rate. She was in love with Stiles, she always will be. She doesn't even have feelings for Jackson, the two had always been platonic. But in this moment? She felt something. It wasn't love, no it wasn't even a hint of romance.