47: The Showdown

TW: Minor to moderate gore

-December 7, 1991-
It's been three days since Little One was taken from him again, and Voldemort could physically feel Little One slipping. The tether that tied Voldemort's magic to Little One was getting weaker with each day that passed. Little One needed more magic and soon, and Voldemort was no closer to finding his son than he was three days ago. He paced around the common room of his castle with agitation, ignoring the light breeze from outside that was drifting in from the destroyed west wing that Voldemort had not fixed yet.

"We will find him---"

"You shut up." Voldemort snapped, whirling around to glare at Death. Today he was wearing a twenty-year-old girl with platinum blonde hair cut in a pixie cut. His eyes were a dark hazel, but the signature cheekbones were there, as they always seemed to be no matter what body Death wore. "You don't get to talk. You knew that something was going to happen and you didn't warn me!"

"I couldn't interfere," Death said, his voice twisted with remorse. "I begged my Dear Sister to stop it, but it was already in motion. There was nothing I could do!"

Voldemort just scoffed, turning around to continue his mad pacing. Little One is missing, none of his spies know where he is, no one has reported back with any information and Dumbledore is gone. There are no leads and Voldemort has no idea what to do. He was going insane and he couldn't think properly. In a fit of rage, Voldemort lifted a random book off the shelf and threw it across the room, listening for the satisfying smash as it collided with the wall.

"What is she planning?" Voldemort asked, glancing back at his rueful lover. Death lifted his head when Voldemort addressed him. "Your sister. What did she plan to happen to my son?"

Death only shook his head, his blonde hair flying into his face. "You know I can't---"

"Can't say anything! I got it! What use are you, then?" Voldemort snarled. "My son is gone! He could be anywhere! I can feel him slipping, don't you understand? He's slipping! There isn't much time---"

Voldemort froze as his wards pinged all around him. He whipped his head to the side, his crimson eyes narrowing for a second before he darted to the side, tackling Death to the ground just as the wall exploded in on itself. The dust and rubble rained down on them for a few seconds before Voldemort stood, brushing the debris off his shoulders, and looked up to see what had caused the attack.

Voldemort's face twisted into an ugly sneer full of hatred at the sight of Dumbledore casually walking on his land. "You!" he snarled, throwing a curse in his direction. Dumbledore nonchalantly side-stepped the curse. "How dare you! I let you live and this is how you repay me?!"

"The time has come to end your reign of terror, Tom," Dumbledore said, his blue eyes twinkling with delight. "With you gone, England can finally heal from the scars of Dark Magic."

"Where is my son?!" Voldemort screamed, racing towards the man with rage, a cutting curse leaving his wand.

There was a loud boom as Voldemort's overpowered curse hit Dumbledore's quickly erected shield. The impact caused both Dumbledore and Voldemort to stagger back, wind whipping past their faces. "Without you, Harry will finally have his real family." Dumbledore said, brandishing his wand. Beside him, Voldemort could hear Death breathe in a sharp breath, but Voldemort didn't acknowledge him.

"I am his real family!" Voldemort snarled, sending hex after hex towards the shield, each hit weakening it. Just as the shield broke and Voldemort lunged forward to attack, Dumbledore dodged, a spell of his own shooting forward.

Voldemort, being in no position to dodge, let the spell hit him, a small grunt escaping his grit teeth when the cutting curse hit his leg. Ignoring the flash of pain, Voldemort whirls around, throwing his leg under Dumbledore's and causing the old man to crash to the ground. Despite how much Voldemort hated his upbringing, he would never regret learning muggle methods of fighting because Wizards had no idea how to defend against them.