Chapter 27

The next morning, the two made their way to McGonagall's class for Transfiguration.

Once everyone had arrived and it was time for the lesson to start, she announced that the class was going to be doing partner work and that she was going to pick who worked with who.

Hayden and Draco hoped that McGonagall would have mercy on them and put them together, but it wasn't a very likely wish.

They watched the professor as she started to call out partners, only really listening for their names.

"Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottom" she called.

Draco sighed as he grumbled under his breath. Hayden gave him a sympathetic smile as the blonde gathered his things and moved tables.

"Hayden Snape and Hermione Granger"

Hayden suppressed a groan as Draco gave him the same sympathetic smile he had given the blonde earlier.

Rolling his eyes at Draco, Hayden begrudgingly picked up his stuff and made his way to the Gryffindor side of the room where Hermione sat. Thankfully he wasn't too far away from where his mate sat.

Once everyone was seated with their partners for the day, McGonagall started giving out instructions on what they were to be doing.

"I heard that you got hurt during the last task. How are you doing?" Hermione questioned right off the bat. Hayden just looked at her, not knowing what to make of the suddenness of the inquiry.

"Fine I guess, why?" Hayden asked back with an air of caution, ever so slightly curious as to why she would care.

"Well, we were all just so worried about you. You missed the last couple weeks of school before winter break and nobody had known where you were or what exactly had happened" Hermione explained matter of factly.

"Oh" was all he said, signaling he was done talking before turning back to the teacher who was handing out different objects to each pair of partners.

"I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I am really curious, what type of creature are you?" Hermione questioned as they got started on their assignment.

Hayden almost dropped his wand in shock, horrified at the thought she knew of something so personal to him. How in the world did she figure out he was a creature?

The raven was glad that his parents were who they were because the emotionless glare he shot her down with was something that could only be passed down.

The girls seemed to wither and close into herself under the intensity of the glare pinned in her. Finding it in herself, she started to elaborate on her previous statement.

"Wh-When Draco pulled you out of the water d-during the last task. You had wings, and p-people usually don't have wings un-unless t-they have some sort of cre-creature blood in them. You d-don't h-have to answer if you aren't comfortable with t-telling me, I understand. I'm just curious. Your w-wings were as black as coal when you were dragged onto the platform" the girl uncharacteristically stuttered as she mumbled quickly. 

Hayden continued to stare her down for a minute longer before slowly opening his mouth to reply.

"Who else knows?" he demanded quietly.

"I d-don-"

"Who did you tell?" The raven insisted.

"Just Ron, I promise. I think Viktor might've seen as well and Loony Lovegood" the girl explained as fast as she could.

Hmm , he probably didn't have to worry about Luna at all, although it might be a good idea to at least talk with her. Viktor might be more of a problem though, one that would have to be felt with. Ron on the other hand, was definitely a problem. The man couldn't learn to keep his trap shut if his life depended on it, which -coincidentally- it did.