chapter eleven - a hidden figure

After spending a little over an hour in the hotel gardens, the sun was slowly setting over Rome. Despite the fact Diana was in no mood to sleep and was delighted when Theodore suggested the take the carriage for an evening visit to the House of the Vestas.

During the journey - with the help of Teddy - Diana Bridgerton had created a really rather lengthy list of all the sites she wished to visit in both Rome and Athens. The House of the Vestal Virgins was certainly on that list.

Within fifteen minutes a small black and red carriage was ready for them and they began their nighttime journey.

This was the first chance Diana had had to have a more detailed look at Rome so she spent the entire trip - short as it was - taking in as much as she could. The architecture. The culture. The people. The language. It was ethereal, coated in the golden blanket that came with the setting of the sun.

The area they were travelling into was a distinctly ancient part of the city and they drove past several other temples or ruins of historical significance.

Diana was so excited that she nearly asked them to stop the carriage so she could wander through the thousands of years worth of history. But she knew that there was not time. It was already late, and besides, she could always return tomorrow to analyse and explore further.

By the time they had arrive at the ruins, the sun’s final rays were blessing it giving it a mythical quality that only made the whole experience more magical.

Theodore had asked for the carriage to return in an hour and a half, giving them enough time to explore the site before thieves or robbers descended on the place.

She grabbed his hand and dragged him along the grass, through an ancient arch and into the central gardens. They emerged at the southern end of the atrium vestae, giving them a perfect view of the statues that lined the strip of grass in the centre of the ruin.

Diana was astounded and stared mouth open wide at its beauty.

“Go on,” Teddy nudged her and gave her permission to explore the ruins in its complete entirety.

She headed off under one of the archways and he kept an eye on her, following where she went. A figure in the darkness caught his gaze.

Theodore was concerned at first that the figure might be a thief or criminal intent on attacking Diana and he nearly called out to his cousin to warn her. But something stopped him. There was something familiar in the figure that he could not place, something which told him whoever it was had no malicious intent.

It slowly slinked out from its hiding place and strode over to him. The figure was covered in a heavy black cloak hiding their body entirely.

“Don’t look so frightened Theodore,” purred a husky voice as the figure stopped approximately meter in front of him.

Theodore smirked at his dramatic entrance and fought to hide a smile.

“Augustus.”

The figure - Augustus - took the hood from his head to reveal his pale blonde ringlets bouncing around his face. The steadily diminishing light made his skin glow and his icy eyes shine brightly. His lips were arched in a horrifically gorgeous smile that left Teddy blushing. Augustus Montagu was the exiled son of the Duke of Manchester who now permanently resided in Rome, living freely amongst its nobles.

“You look even more attractive than when I last saw you.”

Teddy’s blush only grew. The things this man did to him.

“I believe this is when you compliment me back, Teddy?” He raised a golden brow flirtatiously.

The young lord took a deep breath to sort himself, having become quite breathless upon seeing the man in front of him.

Instead of offering Montagu a compliment as he had so requested, Theodore Blake closed the gap between them and planted his lips onto the blonde’s. Augustus Montagu was shocked at first, for he had never seen Teddy so forward, but he quickly felt at ease in his lover’s hold and returned the kiss.

They were so encapsulated in each other’s embrace that neither noticed the young Bridgerton making her was toward them.

“Theodore?”

*****

I am well aware that this chapter is not particularly focused on Diana and has absolutely no connection to the Prince, however. Bridgerton is all about finding love. Whatever that love may be.

I promise that the Prince will return sooner than you think - but will their feelings still be the same?

V