43: "You're stupid and ugly and worthless, but I miss you."

Just like that, things fall apart.

The night Sirius ends things, I tell the girls in my dorm everything that happened. Not to spite him, just to get their advice on what I should do.

And just like that, sides are taken, and the group falls apart. I always thought our year to be the closest, tightest knit group. I always thought nothing could tear us apart considering everything we've been through together, and yet here we are, arguing over my relationship.

On Sirius's side, there's James, Peter, Dorcas, and Marlene, and on my side there's Lily, Remus, Mary, and Alice. No side converses with the others, and in the girls' dorms, Marlene has set up a curtain that separates her and Dorcas from the rest of us. I can only imagine how Remus is doing in the boys' room.

Even now, at breakfast, we sit in our respected sides, glaring at the other when they don't look. It seems that everyone cares a great deal about it except for me and Sirius. We just try and get through the days without drinking too much.

"I hate them," Mary says, shaking her head as she stares ten seats down, where James and Marlene are whispering to one another. "I hate them I hate them I hate them."

"They think they're so high and mighty," Lily snaps spitefully, stabbing a fork into her bacon and scoffing. "How can they forgive Sirius?"

"I don't know," Alice says, also shaking her head.

"It's disgusting," even Remus admits, shutting his book with a little more aggression than usual. He looks disappointed in his friends, and more tired than usual. I doubt he's sleeping much with James, Sirius, and Peter all throwing stuff at him.

"I can't believe Marlene sided with her ex," Mary spits. "She talks shit about Sirius constantly, and here she is. It's like—ow."

Her head snaps to the left, where Marlene is bursting into laughter after having thrown a wad of eggs across the table. Stuck inside the mush is a piece of paper with a few words scribbled down.

"James says you're a shit kisser," Mary reads, then scoffs, throwing the note down and picking up her fork before standing.

"Woah!" Remus exclaims, standing and grabbing her arm before she can throw the utensil. "Let's try not to impale anyone."

"Well Derrick says you're crap in bed!" Mary shouts, and Marlene gapes. I have no idea who Derrick is, but clearly it makes her angry.

"Oh, shut up! You're just jealous he chose me!" Mar screams, standing as well.

"He came to me right after!"

"Liar!"

"Slut!"

Remus and Alice work to get Mary to sit down, meanwhile James just howls with laughter at the scene, not doing anything to stop Marlene.

"Throw more eggs at her," Dorcas says, pushing her own plate towards her.

"Really, Dorcas?" Alice shouts over her struggle. "God, you're so immature!"

"You can't say anything, not while you're dating Longbottom!" Dorcas shouts, and she, Marlene, James, and Peter all burst into laughter, along with half the Gryffindor table. Alice gapes, looking hurt, and let's go of Mary's arm. Lily jumps up to take her place, grabbing Mary.