Chapter 15: The Return of Lila

His body pressed against mine as I tangled my fingers in his hair, our lips hovering dangerously close.

"Cordelia," he says as he trails kisses down my neck and over my bare shoulder.

My breathing was heavy as his lips brushed mine lightly. "I told you so."

I ignore him and he chuckles. Our kisses become more passionate as I feel his hands slide up my legs.

"Forrest," I whisper.

I shoot up from my bed with a sweaty forehead and ragged breaths.

I run both hands over my face as I groan loudly.

Seriously? This is what I've come to? Kinky dreams about the royal pain in my ass?

It's been a couple days since Harlan or Forrest has spoken to me. But I didn't worry, because today was the ball and if Harlan really cared about me, he would make his move.

***

I have been here for an entire month, and I've never seen the ballroom. Apparently dancing lessons weren't thought of as necessary, because no one mentioned anything. I have never danced with another person before, so we will see if I fail notoriously or succeed with grace.

My maids spent a lot of time on my gown, and Elise even told me how she stayed up late some nights trying to finish it. I would have to agree their work certainly paid off.

It just barely brushed the ground, and in the sprit of autumn the dress was a light red. It was strapless so that small curls of my hair would brush my collarbone. Elise put my hair into a beautiful bun with a small braid wrapping around it. I even had to admit to myself how utterly lucky I was to have her.

"Knock'em dead, Cordelia." Elise had said before I left.

"I'll try." I responded with a laugh.

Now here I was. Standing right outside of the ballroom finding myself hesitating.

Why was I hesitating? I need to win back Prince Harlan and wrap him around my finger again. I shouldn't be hesitating, I should be bursting through that door and getting attention. But that was impossible. I was one girl out of many. There were other girls much more prettier and more elegant than I was. So maybe that was the reason I was hesitating. I could possibly be denying myself of my biggest fear. Of course I had other fears, small ones. They weren't fears of spiders or snakes. I wasn't even scared of Ms. Torrean. Rather I had big ones. And with those comes the biggest one of all.

Rejection.

I was mortified of rejection. I may not have had nightmares about it, but it was the reason I couldn't fall asleep at night. And considering my hesitation now, it was also holding me back. I couldn't afford to let anything hold me back. So I needed to do what I did best, and that was mask my feelings and emotions and suppress them until they disappeared. Even though they never truly disappear.

I walk through the double doors and hear the music loud and clear. It didn't matter that I didn't know how to dance, because I would just deal with it and pretend I do know how. That works most times. I do it everyday.

All the girls are already here, probably to ensure they get to dance with Prince Harlan or Prince Forrest.

I spot Felicity standing alone and eating a pastry. I was actually grateful to see her, rather than dread her none stop talking about her and Harlan's relationship.

"Hi Felicity," I say and put on a bright smile. A look of relief glows across her face as she grins at me. "Hi Cordelia. Thank goodness you're here. I looked like such a loner." She laughs and I stand next to her. "Maybe so, but you looked like a pretty loner." I say jokingly and she laughs. "Thanks."