Chapter 13: The New Plan

Back in the kitchen, Mary was handling the dishes when Violet walked up to her. She whispered something in her ear, and Mary let her cover for her. She went to the bedroom to find Nick and Joseph surrounded by suitcases and many supplies.

"Would this be enough for ya, lass?" Nick said.

"It's perfect."

"Just don't ask us where we got it from."

Charlie walks in and sees the stuff his friends brought. "Whoa. Nice work, guys."

"Now, the real question is: how are you gonna get all your friends out of here at once, let alone alive?"

Mary's smile disappears. With everything that happened yesterday, She never came up with one. "I'm not sure. I guess I forgot about that."

"Understandable. Probably still recovering from almost being fried."

"You heard about that?"

"Sure. Word's getting around about your heroic deed. And the Fletchers? They won't stop until they find someone to swing."

"Mary, you were right. We need to go."

"We can't. I don't have a plan, and even if I did, the Fletchers always find out. We can't leave during the day without anyone seeing us, and we can't leave at night without their dogs watching our every move. At this point, it seems predictable..." Mary sits on a bed and stares out the window. She spots a train passing by and realizes something. "...unless..."

Cato and Leon were still down in the boiler room when Mary and Charlie came down.

"Cato, we need your help. You know a lot about trains, right?"

"Why, I was born in one. Don't ask why."

"And do railroad workers build tunnels for the tracks?"

"Occasionally."

A smile sprouts on Mary's face. "I got it. I know how we're getting out of here. You and Leon spread the word. Tell Regina and the others meeting tonight."

"On it, Mary! Come on, man!" The two boys rush upstairs.

"What's the plan?" asked Charlie.

"We're gonna build a tunnel. If we can't escape on the surface, we can escape under it."

"And if we leave underground..."

"The Fletchers won't see us! This could work, Charlie!"

"I gotta go tell the guys. You're gonna need all the help you can get." While Charlie ran upstairs, Mary looked down at her bracelet and smiled. "We're on our way, mom," she thought. "I promise."
---------------------

At night, while Mrs. Fletcher was asleep and Mr. Fletcher in the cellar, the black orphans were talking when they heard:

"Ago!"

"Ame!" Mary looked and was surprised to see Charlie getting their attention. She smiled at him and began the meeting.

"Alright, listen up. Now, many of you have heard that the Fletchers are looking for us. Well, we've come up with an idea to leave this place once and for all. We will dig a tunnel running from this room, under the playground, and to the end of the fence." Questionable murmurs rippled through the room. "Nick. Joseph. You two are in charge of getting us tools. And if it's possible, see if you can distract Mr. Fletcher from fixing that chair. Cato, since you know about trains, I'm putting you in charge of leading us out of here."

"Mary," said Akela. "Are you sure this is gonna work?"

"Of course it will. Trust me." She then went to the middle of the room to where everyone can see her. "Up until now, the Fletchers have made our lives a living Hell. Now is our chance to leave it behind and escape this place for good. And the only way we do that is if we work together...even if we're different from one another." Charlie smiles at her while Cato pats him on the back. "We begin tomorrow. Be sure to pack supplies."

"Guys! Fletcher's leaving the cellar!"

While the kids scrambled to their beds, Mr. Fletcher saw the light turn off in the bedroom and grew suspicious. He made his way into the building and walked down the hallway to the bedroom. He opened the door to find the black children in their beds, sleeping soundly.

"It's all in your head," he whispered to himself. "It's all in your head..."

When he closed the door, Mary helped Charlie from under the bed while Nick and Joseph climbed out of another bed next to them.

"I guess this is normal for you, huh, lass?" Nick quipped.

"You can say that."

"Hey, guys," said Leon. "Nick and Joseph are a part of this, too. We should invite them to New York with us."

"Us? In the big city?"

"You mean it?"

"It's the least we can do," said Regina. "You and Charlie have been very helpful to us."

"Oh, stop. All of you are makin' me blush,'' Nick replied.

"But it's impossible. No one has ever made it up North. Especially negros."

"Guess we'll have no choice to be the first," said Charlie.

"So, will you come?" asked Mary.

"Oh, alright. Only because you're a nice lass." Mary smiles at the comment. "Come, Joseph. We got work to do. And uh, Charlie...nice lady you have here."

"Whoa, wait. She's not-I mean, we're friends, but..." Charlie was stuttering over his words. Joseph pushes Mary close to Charlie. They blushed while gazing into each other's eyes.

"Well then, we best be going. See you in the AM." As the boys walked out of the room, Mary and Charlie laughed.

"Hey, thanks for inviting them."

"No problem. We kinda figured you guys were a family yourselves." Mary walks past Charlie and over to her bed. A playful smirk grew on his face.

"Do you want the closet or chest this time?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Imma do the closet this time."

"Good choice."