Chapter 188: The Demon King

~10,000 Years Later~

"Another day, another dollar." I kick back in my chair, raising my feet and placing them on my desk. "Ji Nian? How was your day? Another soul of yours sent to Purgatory?"

I chuckle at the disparaging comment. One of my souls recently became an Immortal! I was graciously rewarded and gifted with plenty of power essences. However, Ji Nian... my poor neighboring desk mate has not met with such luck.

He ignores me and organize the documents on his desk. Rolling his eyes, he mutters something under his breath that I can't hear.

"What's the matter? Keep getting stuck with troubled souls? From what I see, you need to go back to the basic training," I say nonchalantly.

"Please! You've only been at this for ten thousand years. I've been doing this for five-hundred thousand years. You are only benefiting from beginner's luck. Don't get so cocky." Ji Nian fired back.

With a wide smile, I shake my head. Ji Nian is getting worked up again because I enjoy teasing him about work. He isn't a bad Soul Case Manager, although there are areas I think he can improve. His pride seems to be what keeps him from fully connecting with his clients. For goodness' sake it's been five-hundred thousand years and he still doesn't understand this. That's why I've been outperforming him all these years I've worked as a manager.

"Fine, you're right, you're right, dear senior! How about I treat you to a cup of coffee?" I pointed at him playfully, awaiting his answer.

He dabs the tip of his brush in some ink and starts writing. "You know I like it black."

"Great! I'll grab us a cup of coffee." I stand up and fix my hat, straightening the hair flowing down behind my back.

I toss a embroidered money bag full of small silver ingots on my way to the food court. There is a small shop that sells tea and coffee beverages that is popular among us Soul Case Managers. When I first started as a manager, I didn't like drinking coffee. I don't like it black like how Ji Nian does. Realizing I can add sweetness in the drink, I started consuming it almost daily.

I waited in line with other managers to get our coffee. Looking into my bag, I start counting the silver out of boredom.

"Rong Xin? Rong Xin, is it you?" A woman comes right up to me, examining my face closely. I step back to avoid her, annoyed at her sudden encroachment of my space.

"Who are you?" I asked without answering her question.

"It was so long ago... but I still remember you. It's me, Chun Mei."

"Chun Mei?"

"Yes, it's me, Rong Xin!"

Chun Mei? I don't remember her at all.

"I'm sure I'd be able to remember you if you are one of my clients, but I'm afraid I can't place you."

She sighs through her nose, allowing a disheartened smile to spread across her face. "I'm not one of your clients. We were sisters once, lifetimes ago."

Sisters? She's from one of my past lives?

Interestingly, I haven't met anyone from my past lives. Ji Nian told me that before I became a Soul Case Manager, I lived a total of five mortal lives. I even wore a different face in my last life before changing it back. Once I was sworn into my role as a Soul Case Manager, I had to forget my past in order to remain impartial to all the souls I advise.