Prologue

------ Obsidian pov ------
10 years earlier

Another day of training, Herieth and I are getting ready to start.

I begin giggling and laughing at Herieth as she starts tripping over her gear until I hear Arroyo's steady footsteps walking in.

"Ladies! I can hear you from down the hall," He scolds. Herieth and I look at each other and mumble apologies as I help Herieth up from the floor. "No, this is the last straw. I've warned you two multiple times," he says sternly.

"Ember and I have been talking, and she thinks it would be best for you two to switch training partners."

I look over at Herieth worryingly, her light blue eyes filled with confusion. "What?" We both say in shock looking back at Arroyo.

"I'm sorry, but Ember has already chosen your new partners..."

He can sense the water under Herieths skin as it forms waves. "I think working with new people will improve your skills towards different challenges," He says in comfort and confidence.

As he leaves, Herieth and I are left with complete silence surrounding our overflowing thoughts.

I was so mad, I could feel my heartbeat quicken. The fire under my skin threatening to burst out. Herieth reaches out to hold my hand in comfort, her white skin contrasting against my caramel tone.

"It's okay Siddy," she says warmly. "I feel the same way. I mean we've been as close as sisters since we were 5 years old... doing everything together." I look away, thinking about the memories of us working together and how we've bonded. "But, Ember and Arroyo are right. We have to be able to work with other people. Don't you want to grow up to be an amazing assassin?"

I look up to see Herieth fighting back tears. "I just don't want to grow apart... I love you Ethy," I say grabbing both of her hands.

We give each other a long hug, my face buried in her long blond hair.

------ Herieth Pov ------

Siddy and I had been dueling for at least two hours right after my ballet class and Obsidians archery training, When we hear Ember call us into the main building. I carefully place my gear aside as Siddy throws it to the ground, challenging me to a race as I see a spark light up in her dark brown eyes.

"We are about to meet our new partners. We have to look professional," I say walking past her.

Siddy pushes me, laughing, and I start running after her. Right before we reach the office door, I throw a ball of water to her head, soaking her black curly hair. This allows me to catch up to her, slipping on the puddle of water, tumbling to the ground with Siddy. As we stand up, laughing, we realise we are drenched.

Siddy tries to dry us off as much as possible, but Ember opens her office door. She gives us a scolding look as she sees how messy we are, automatically drying us off with the heat of her fire.

"You girls look filthy," she scowls, dragging us into her office. There we see two boys waiting along with Arroyo.

"Ladies, this is River," she announces, pointing to a young Korean boy with black hair so dark I can see an almost blue tint, and dark blue eyes that remind me of the ocean.

"And This is Nathaniel," She continues, pointing to the the other boy who stands a little taller than River. I first notice his piercing green eyes staring back at me and his messy dark brown hair, his skin a light peachy colour.

"River, Nathaniel, meet Herieth and Obsidian." I look over at Siddy and see fire ignite in her orbs.

This is going to be a long ride.