― chapter 04.

❝ don't get too excited, chico

❝ don't get too excited, chico. i'm still gonna kick your ass. ❞

MIGUEL DIAZ WAS A HUGE NERD.

Ayane was not sure how she had not seen it before, but he undoubtedly was.

And she was unsure of how to feel about Miguel. Whenever they talked, or whenever he was close to her, she felt a weird feeling in her stomach. Not necessarily bad, but weird. Different.

Ayane was not allowed to date. Dating was probably out of the question until she could escape the clutches of her parents. And she has never even thought about it, being homeschooled and whatnot.

But every corner she turned at West Valley High, someone was trying to flirt with her.

Ayane did not know how to respond to it, other than threatening to kick their ass.

When the third or fourth boy of the week had run away from Ayane in the hall, holding a bloodied nose, Miguel finally said something.

"You do know that they're flirting with you, right?" he asked with precaution.

Ayane turned her head sharply, furrowing her eyebrows. "They're what?"

"Flirting," he repeated slowly. "You know, when they want to... date you. Well, some of them don't really want to date, they just wanna do other things..."

"Other things? What does that mean?"

Miguel scrunched his nose, thinking. He had no idea homeschooled kids were so clueless.

"Um... uh- it's like, you know."

Ayane shook her head, not following.

"No, I don't."

She glanced over at the boy walking past her with a bruised cheek, averting her gaze.

That was when it hit her.

"Oh. You mean sex."

Miguel nearly choked.

Ayane slowly smiled, then burst into laughter. "I'm messing with you, Miguel. I know what they want. But they've got to learn very quickly that that's not what I'm into."

He frowned. "Into? Like- you're not into guys...?"

"I'm not into hooking up, dumbass," she rolled her eyes and pulled her schoolbag strap over her shoulder.