| xii: riddle |

"The sweetest smiles hold the darkest secrets

"The sweetest smiles hold the darkest secrets..." ― Sara Shepard, Flawless

" ― Sara Shepard, Flawless

Jaipur, India

Akanksha was packing her stuff from her desk. It was Tuesday already, and she was done with her work at the Bureau. It had been three weeks since she grasped this new way of life. She was still adjusting to her new lifestyle. She no longer worked as an informer since she joined the Bureau as it would have posed a threat to her life and career. The business was never an issue as her sister almost handled her part of the job.

After a lot of talking, she was relieved from the Bureau on Saturdays. It was the only day of the week when she was free, which she dedicated to her family. Her schedule was pretty stressful, but she managed it all with her never-ending patience and smile.

Her equation with Vihaan had slightly developed or so she believed. That day when she had gone downstairs for dinner after getting dressed, Vihaan looked surprised. He had never imagined that she would take his suggestion seriously. Warmth spread through him. No, they weren't friends. But they thought of each other as acquaintances. They had a long way to go.

The one person who noticed this development was Shailaja. She was very happy with the progress and did not fail to offer laddus to Lord Krishna the next day. She had asked Akanksha about it after dinner that day.

"Dear, may I ask you something?" Shailaja stopped Akanksha as she was heading towards the kitchen.

Akanksha nodded.

"I never saw you wearing this. Why today?" she pointed towards the nuptials, which were adorning her neck and forehead.

The faint tint of pink on Akanksha's cheeks didn't go unnoticed by Shailaja. After making a straight face, she replied, "I always wore it, Mom. You did not notice it."

Today, it was Aadya who was dropping her back home as Vihaan, Viraaj, and Vikram had already left. The long-lost friends were now united. They were all smiles. It was the giggles that sailed upon their boat, the laughter, the smiles. They saw the funny in everything, and that was their bond. It was more of sisters and less of friends. Akanksha had found a sister in Aadya. It was Aadya who now did the pick and drop business for her.