The Aftermath

TW: Minor cursing

Jack POV
The rest of the school day seemed to fly by, with most of the teachers congratulating me on my success. I didn't do it alone but okay. I thought as yet another told me that. We only had about five minutes left in our last class, so our teacher was just letting us talk. I was just excited to meet up with Davey after school.

Finally, the five minutes were up. I raced outside and stood in the place Davey told me to meet him at. I texted Race, telling him that I wouldn't be home until later. Once I sent the text, Davey arrived, and we set off. Apparently Sarah was going to Katherine's house, so we had the car to ourselves.

"Do you want to listen to some music?" Davey asked, and I nodded vigorously. "What type?"

"Whatever you usually listen to." I answered with a shrug. We ended up listening to a broadway soundtrack filled with songs from Hamilton, Beetlejuice, Dear Evan Hansen, Heathers, Legally Blonde, SIX, Be More Chill, Newsies, Wicked, Hadestown, Falsettos, Mean Girls, Lightning Theif: The Musical, and Tuck Everlasting (look back in the last book for the reasons behind these choices lol). Davey and I knew the words to most of the songs, although some seemed to slip our memory.

"You know," I started as "Top of The World" from Tuck Everlasting came on. "I never noticed how similar Crutchie and Jesse's voices sound." Davey had a look of realization on his face after I said that.

"Oh my god, you are right!" He exclaimed, and I laughed slightly. "Anyway, we are at my house now." Davey said, abruptly changing the subject. We slipped out of his car and started making our way to the door.

He unlocked it with his key and opened the door slightly, before opening it fully. We walked through his house, which I had never been in previously. The walls were a muted beige color, and the floors were some brown-ish color. But there were pictures of him and his family littered everywhere, on the walls or on any flat surface, in the kitchen, the living room. Everywhere. It was kinda sweet.

"Here is my room," Davey said, waving to a navy blue painted room. "I know you don't care but that one is Sarah's and the one down the hall a little is Les'." He pointed to a light teal painted room across from his, Sarah's, and a light pink painted room, Les'. We walked into Davey's room and I sat on his bed while he made his way to his desk.

"So why did you wanna invite me over?" I asked after a few seconds of silence. Davey looked to the ground nervously, and I couldn't help but smile. He is pretty cute when he was anxious. I thought, before quickly dismissing it. He probably doesn't like me, so I should just stop thinking those things. Right?

"I, uh," He started out, snapping me out of my thoughts. "So I have wanted to tell you this for, like, a long time. But you know, I could never, um, build up the courage." He laughed nervously.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I said gently, but he shook his head.

"No, I want to. So, Jack, what I wanted to tell you is that... I like you. In both a friend way and a romantic. If you don't like me back thats fine, I don't really care just tell me because I don't want it to be awk-" I cut off his rambling by walking over and gently placing one of my hands on his.

"Davey, it's fine. This is actually perfect because, I also like you in both a friend and romantic way." I smiled, and Davey looked star-struck.

"Really?!" He squeaked out. And I nodded with a small laugh.

"Yeah, I thought you were cute the first time I saw you actually." I explained. "And I never had the courage to tell you either. Also that was so brave of you to tell me, just wanted to say." This elicited a breathy chuckle from Davey.

"So." He said, and seemed to be trying to find the right words, but I beat him to it.

"So, Davey, will you be my boyfriend?"

"Hell yeah."