Chapter 4 : On The Run

It was in the dead stillness of the foggy night. Where the darkness was so thick I probably could have captured it with my hand. My mother was speeding away on the lone empty dark road. She was going at a speed that I am quite it was unnaturally illegal.

The obscuring cold fog that was clouding the car's glass, made it practically impossible to even see a thing. While mom was going at what seems to be a hundred kilometre per hour in a zone. That had strictly and plainly stated that when driving please limit the velocity at sixty kilometre per hour.

At the rate she was driving this car at, it might as well would take a miracle. If the car didn't skid of the slightly wet road and have us going to the land of the dead real soon. It appears as if my daddy had lit a fire under my mom's arse. This recklessness was completely uncalled for. We are talking about lives, precious lives being put at stake here.

" Mommy where are we going? ".
My six year old self queried fearfully. While I was seated stiffly with tear stained cheeks in the back seat.

Just as she was about to give me a response suddenly her phone screen had came alive. Then started blaring her unique but quirky ringtone that I could identify anywhere. We both jumped a bit frightened at the sound that disturbed the silence. I perked my head from the back seat to see who was calling.

" Mommy, it's daddy! ".
I said squealed out in unmatched cheeriness.

Then snatched the phone away quickly before my mom could get her hands on it. Even worse, she could just end the call at a moment notice.

" Sweetie don't answer tha- ".
I simply chose to ignore her instruction this time.

This is my knight in shining armour I am talking about here... my dad. I swiped the phone screen quickly. I had desperately longed to hear my daddy's voice. I wanted an explanation as to what was going on between my parents. I didn't want to be apart of their little silent treatment game.

" Hello daddy...I am fine. Yes she's in the front seat driving to some unknown destina- ".
I responded to my father's numerous questions that he was asking regarding me and my mom.

I had really tried to answer them to the best of my ability but I had a few questions of my own. Yet before I could even voice my question. My mom had slowed down the speed of the car and she just had interrupted me.

" Todito get off the phone and hand it to mommy ".
My mom said to me in a no-nonsense tone with one hand on the steering wheel and the other outstretched in my direction.

" Daddy is - ".
I begged my mother to let me talked to my daddy for a little while longer.

" Anna Mariah Darkstar I said hand me the phone this instant ! ".
My mom voice raise a little and her tone was stern.

All I wanted was just to talk to my dad, was that too hard to ask for.

I slowly placed the phone in her awaiting palm, with every single intention of not wanting to. Even my heart held a funny feeling, it felt heavy. I swear parents can be difficult to talk to and be dealt with at times. Yet here I was thinking that I was the childish one.

I glanced at my mom with my face extremely vexed, apparently my mother tried to multitask. So I merely watched on as she tried to end the call and also focus on driving at the same time. If we didn't crash before we might as well crash now.

Yet instead of ending the call her thumb had instead touched the speaker button. I jumped a bit when she kissed her teeth loudly and jammed her feet on the brakes. The car suddenly skidded to a stop.

" God a wah dis man? ".
She questioned out loudly in an exasperated tone.

As she glanced up in the roof of the car in frustration. This appeared serious as my mom started had grumbling out pieces of statements a lot of in her native tongue, Jamaican patois.

" There is no need to drag my father... God, into this Andrea. Besides he's just too busy, with me already on his plate. This is between you and I.

If you think you can escape me you have gravely mistaken. As long as my blood is circulating through my little protegée that you are currently hoarding all to yourself. Love I will... always... always find you ".
My father uttered so darkly like he knew something we didn't.

Even the car held a strange kind of chill. Did he seriously said he was going to find us anywhere we went?

" Go to hell Samiel ! ".
My mom said with a sassy voice heavily coated akin to honey.

While a fake smile was on her face. I knew that face anywhere, because that's the face she makes when she already knew I am about to do something that will make her mad.

My dad was anything short of rhythm, as he fired back a response. He had and matched my mother's vocal mellowness, the reply was so sassy.

" Mhm been there done that darling and I had already brought it to earth. Why don't you kiss yourself for - ".

I had figured my mom had already ended the call due to the resounding loud beep in the car. I guess she had heard more than enough and didn't want to listen to anymore nonsense.

There was a minute of silence that had passed before my mother turned around to look at me. She let out a heavily burdened sigh and gave me a wry smile. As if to convince me everything would be fine but I knew better.
When I took a good look at her, I realized that she went through so much in such a short time and our lives were upheaved. My mom let out a sigh once more and rubbed my cheek before she said,

" We are divinely screwed... celestial style ".