Chapter 7 : The Truth Can Be A Tad Bit Crippling

I knew that my mom would be home all day, today relaxing. Since every Wednesday was her typical day off. While for me on the other hand, it meant ensuring I was good to go for school.

A place where education was just a means to an end.

In quite a hurried manner, I had started putting my stationeries in my school bag. Then strutted off into the homey bathroom to get ready. Then exited with a facade of jolly, as if to prove to the world. That I was supposedly walking on sunshine. I was decked out in a black jumpsuit and blue puffer jacket and sleek white sneakers on my feet.

As I headed to the breakfast table to joined my mom. It looks like I have arrived in the knick of time. Only to see my mom, just adding her last touch to an full English breakfast. While a streaming cup of chamomile tea was placed to the side.

" Good morning mom, thanks for the breakfast. So how is the fine mama doing after her birthday? ".
I queried with a smile as I took a seat at the table and the aroma of the food wafted up at my nose.

" Mhm...haha... Little Bug, okay do not start. Good morning to you too ".
She replied to me with one of her radiant smile. As she reached over and pecked my cheek.

The sun was out in its glory this morning peaking out from in-between the trees. That were swaying as if they were dancing to a tune they hear and could only decipher. It seems that today would be a fair one.

The only sounds that could be heard in the kitchen was the utensils saluting the plates. As my mom and I continue to lessen the food portion on our plates and into our stomachs.

" So Mama Jones despite the fact that dad is waging a full out war against us. Why didn't you guys get married before I came into the picture? ".
I queried quite curious tone, to hear her response to my question would be. I propped my head on the palm of my hand as I looked at her.

" Well, Todito your father wasn't exactly the commitment type. Whenever he did commit it is when something is of the benefit to him. The truth be told you were a favour that I owed your father. Some protegée of - ".
My mom tried to explain to me patiently with a pained expression on her face. While she tried to gauge my reaction.

" What kind of favour mom?. What kind of memorandum of understanding was I for between you and Samiel?. Were you even going to tell me if I didn't ask?. How could you mom?.
After everything we have been through?. Here I thought you knew what honesty meant mom ".
I said to my mom dejectedly.

While my eyes were teary and my vision was getting blurry.
As I looked at my mother in utter disbelief, bitter disregard and absolute disappointment. I can't believe - after all these years.

" Little Bug it happened nineteen years ago. I was so close to failing college. So one night, I decided to get wasted in a club called, 'City of Angels'. There I was sitting on a stool and relating my problems to a total stranger. He offered that he could help me out of my dilemma but in exchange I would owe a favour.

You have to understand where I am coming from honey. I thought he was a creep giving out deals. So I agreed to it jokingly and I never once saw him again.
University would hit me and I would hit back harder with a sledgehammer. Before I knew it I had graduated with star-studded honour and I was the valedictorian.

Years later on the day of my graduation. I was genuinely surprised to lock eyes with your father. He was there charming the wits out of my parents. We then had a nasty confrontation about his IOU from that night in the club ".
My mom said in a calm tone, as she tried to pacify me.

While I watch the tears stream down her face, well both of our faces.
What a blasted ball jokes and lies my life had became.

" Mom please...don't patronize me. Stop speaking as if you were innocent in all this. If you were failing university you could have a re-sitted or studied harder. You had a choice to walk away that night. Yet you chose to bargain your college grades for the life of your first offspring.

So you auctioned off my life before I even got here. This is bloody rich mom, real mature. Wow!, and yet you wonder why that monster is still after us. The way I see it, you got what you had wanted from that deal.
The star-studded honour and that monster just wanted a seed of his own to take under his wings.

Yet you sit here and ponder... You should have just left me behind ".
I shouted at my mom angrily as I gazed at her heatedly. Through the bitter onslaught of tears that was falling continuously down my cheeks.

" Little bug let me - ".
She tried to plead her case, as she tried to reach out to hold me.

" Let you do what lie some more or explain!. Are you even sure you're my mother. Quite frankly I had heard enough to disgust me into next week. Andrea, in case you haven't got the memo - ".
I replied quite heatedly as I glance at her with nothing but blinding fury.
Suddenly I was interrupted mid sentence of my rant. As my mother slammed her hand on the table.

" Listen to me Anna Mariah Darkstar and it would do you well to listen to me little girl. So that you can get the memo. Don't you dare think for one second that you can exercise power of authority over me, your own mother.

Just for one single act of indiscretion that I had committed in a momentary lapse of judgement. We are not the same size and we are definitely not the same age. Nuh dweet, nuh mek da mistake yah again an' call me outta mi name. Yuh bright?. Yuh a woman? ".
My mom said to me in a fierce anger as it was now her turn to stare me down heatedly. As she uttered each word to me more gravely than the last.

" I'm sorry mom, its an honest slip of the tongue. It will never happen again - "
I started to say but she had decided to ungracefully interrupted me mid sentence again

She let out a loud scoff as she said,
" Yuh damn right it nah go happen again Anna".

I swallowed my pride and the shame I had felt as I knew that I was in the wrong here. I shouldn't have called her out of her name as if we are equals. So I decided to continue where I had left off with my apology.

" I think we just need some space between us right now. Before we can regulate a sense of normalcy again and tolerate each others presence ".
I said in a calm and quiet tone.

Those were my last parting words as I hastily wiped away the onslaught of bitter tears and stalked out of the house and head out to school.

I didn't even get to finish eat the most important meal of the day... my bloody breakfast.