Chapter 6: The Assassin of the Mist!

Waves gently hit the side of the small rowboat you were currently sitting in. The long oar the rower was using cut through the water, and you silently glided through the mist. The fog was so thick that you could barely see five feet in front of you. Naruto sat in the front of the boat while you sat between Sakura and Sasuke with Tazuna, Kakashi, and the rower in the back.

        "This is quite some fog. I can't see ahead."

        Sakura was the first to break the silence. Although there seemed to be no one around, she still whispered. Naruto scrunched his nose to express his distaste, and Tazuna lowered his head. 

        "The bridge should be visible soon," the rower spoke. "When we reach the side of the bridge, we'll be in the Land of the Waves."

        Naruto peered out. True to his words, the bridge soon appeared through the fog. It loomed up from the water and towered over your little group. You all peered up at the tall structure in awe. 

        "Wooow! It's huge!" Naruto blurted, unable to contain his amazement. 

        "H-Hey! Please keep it down!" the rower cried in fear. "I took this boat out under the cover of fog. And I cut the engine and am rowing by hand. If they find us, we'll be in deep trouble."

        Immediately, Naruto slapped his hands over his mouth at his mistake. Kakashi turned to the bridge builder.

        "Tazuna-san." The addressed man lowered his head in acknowledgment. "I wanted to ask you something before we arrive at the pier. The identity of your assailants, and the reason why they are after you. If you don't tell us... our mission may end when you make landfall."

        Tazuna let out a sigh of defeat. The small boat you were in fell into silence as your group turned to look at the man expectantly. He sighed once more before beginning to talk.

        "It appears I have no choice but to tell you. Frankly, I'd like you to listen. Just as you said, this may be beyond the scope of your mission. Actually, I'm being targeted by a terrifying man."

        "A terrifying man?" Kakashi repeated. He stared at your client. "Who?"

        "You guys have probably at least his name before." The older man met your sensei's stare head-on, but beads of sweat glistened on his forehead at the thought of the terrifying man. "A shipping magnate by the name of Gato."

        Kakashi stiffened at the name mentioned as his single visible eye widened with shock. "What? Gato... of the Gato company? One of the world's richest men?"

        "Dare? Dare? Nani? Nani?" Naruto asked from the front excitedly, leaning forward slightly. 

        "Sou..." Tazuna answered Kakashi. "On the surface, he's the chief executive of a shipping company... But underneath, he is into drug-trafficking and deals in contraband using Shinobis and gangs. Moreover, he runs a despicable business, ruthlessly taking over nations and enterprises. It was about a year ago... when that man first set his eyes on the Land of the Waves. He used his wealth and violence to enter this country, and before anyone knew it, he had taken complete control of the island's maritime transportation and shipping. Having a tight grip on the ocean, in an island nation like the Land of the Waves, means having control of finance, the government, the people... everything. The one thing Gato fears... is the completion of the bridge that has been under construction for some time now."

        You all gazed up at the huge bridge before turning back to the builder of the structure. Sakura held her chin thoughtfully.

        "I see. Since you're the one building the bridge, you've become a hindrance."