35. 𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳-𝗱𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗿𝘂𝗰𝘁

EVERYTHING HAD TO BE PERFECT. Every spec, every picture, and every destruction; it all needed to be perfected like the big showcase that it was. Not a single misalignment as the show will show its flaws. A master plan that a group of knowledgeable people constructed, all sharing the same story of being wronged by one man; an industry that chewed them up and spat them out like used gum, no longer having the flavor they desire. However, it didn't matter as the man was now dead, but to see Tony passing the most powerful A.I. system to a mere child--yeah, that was the most idiotic thing he has ever done.

It was so easy to come up with a sob story, something that will eat a good man's morals and sucker him into bending the rules to grant justice. Death of a family member and adding kids to the mix, Beck couldn't believe how easy it was to fool a bunch of paranoid freaks.

Ignorance and immaturity are what Peter Parker is; sure, he's an intelligent and remotely good hero, Beck will grant him that, but the kid lacks so many skills. Peter was unbelievably naive. Even dead, the boy wanted to make Tony proud. The boy couldn't see that the problem wasn't from far away but right next to him the whole time.

And then there's Eszter--the enhanced who's annoyingly hyperaware of one's thoughts, well, emotionally. Beck held his story up no matter what, but he was almost certain that Eszter would've called him out in front of everyone; she could've, and all of this would've gone down the drain in an instant, but by some miracle, Eszter withheld that information and avoided outing Beck. Pleasantly surprised by it, Beck carried on with his plan. Knowing that Eszter was struggling with her inner demons, allowing the man to slip through and get what he wanted.

Capable of getting rid of Eszter during the most important part, Beck was able to feign as a father figure in Peter's eyes; to play as a supportive figure in the kid's life and grant Peter, someone he could look up to, and act like the Tony Stark the boy needed. Somehow, it worked.

"You took everything from me!" The playback audio plays in the background, filling the studio with Beck's voice as the video floats around the monster, shooting it with green beams. "This is for my family!"

Huddled around a couple of tables, several other scientists and engineers sat around as they watched their work in action. Once staff for Tony Stark, now a bunch of people seeking revenge. They ogled the video playing in front of them, sparing small conversation among themselves.

"Pause," the real Beck calls, but the video continues. "Pause."

Williams jumps, pressing the button. "Sorry."

The video stands still, frozen but flickering.

"Yeah, uh, can you just fast-forward to the end?"

"Yeah. Standby."

Beck mumbles a few nonsenses here and there, watching as the video plays out quickly. "I'm not in love with this choreography, but it'll do. Kill imagine," he orders. William obliges. "De-cloak drones. Right, weapons?"

"You want to weaponize them?" William questions, earning a light hum. "Weapons only. Standby." The drones open their guns and repeat the process, reenacting the scene. "Nice."

However, Beck wasn't satisfied. "Stop. Something . . . I don't know what it is. It's something . . . just dou--you know what? Double the damage, and then run it again."

"You want me to double it up? Alright. Cover your ears."

The video plays over again with the same image, destroying the pillars on the side of the studio. The video repeats itself with more destruction.