Epilogue

Chapter 28: Epilogue

Summary:

I'm sorry this took so long to post! My boss took my co-workers and I on a spa retreat this past weekend which was basically just a bender and a total write-off for anything productive (like writing this epilogue).

I hope this ties up a few loose ends, and I know it doesn't touch on everything but I'm a believer in less is more.
Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

———————————————————————————
New York City- July

Harry had the window rolled all the way down in the yellow taxi and most of his upper body was hanging out. He'd kept up a near constant narration about how weird it was to drive on the right side of the road and how bright the city lights were. His excitement was infectious and even though it wasn't Louis first time in America, it felt like it was. It felt like he was seeing the whole thing through Harry's excited eyes.

"Look, Lou! Look!" He exclaimed, gripping onto Louis wrist.

Louis laughed as he looked out of the window and Harry excitedly pointed at the signs as they drove through Times Square. Every single thing had excited Harry since the moment their plane had touched down earlier that morning. Even the time change had thrilled him "it's like we get to rewind and live in this day even longer, Lou. It's perfect, I want today on repeat forever."

Louis was hopelessly smitten with Harry's enthusiasm, and really, Harry in general. They'd been solid for months. It seemed like Louis had finally stopped tripping over his own feet and he was finally able to give Harry what he wanted--and for some magical reason that Maybe Louis would never understand, he was what Harry wanted. It wasn't a question, it was firm and steadfast. Every moment with Harry was perfection. Their lives had blended together completely seamlessly and things never felt like a sacrifice, because at the end of the day, there was always this. There was always a soft tug on his hand and a whispered "Lou" followed by an excited tale. Seeing the world through Harry's eyes truly was the most beautiful way to see things. Harry made everything much kinder, much brighter and most of all, much lighter. He didn't let Louis dwell on the bad and maybe that was the thing Louis needed most of all.

Louis watched with a pleasant aching fondness in his chest as Harry watched the city around them and as the street lights and neon lights lit the gorgeous peaks and valleys of his face. He'd done this. He'd given Harry New York and he'd given him Broadway. They'd just hailed a cab from outside the theatre where Harry had just about burst at the seams with his joy. They'd spent their first night in New York watching Wicked and Harry never been so excited about anything. Louis wanted so bad to keep this up, to keep this day on repeat with his boy.

"You know," he said, and Harry turned to him then, the lights from Times Square making his smile seem all the brighter, "when I gave you the tickets, I thought you'd want to bring Niall."

Harry punched Louis' shoulder playfully, "liar," he muttered, leaning in to kiss Louis' cheek "you knew I'd want you to come. I wouldn't want this moment with anyone else, Louis Tomlinson. You are the love of my life."

He was so confident, so unapologetic in the ways he loved Louis. Louis tucked away each 'I love you' into a place in his mind where he could call on it whenever he needed to be reminded of just how real his life was—because it didn't feel real sometimes. It felt like life had shifted far too dramatically for it to even be real.

There were still moments when Louis calculated everything that Harry had given him and stressed about how uneven things were between them. There were people in his life that he'd be indebted to in ways that he didn't stand a chance at repaying. Harry had given him the entire universe when it had felt like he'd been undeserving of even the tiniest crumb. Harry had given him purpose, companionship and love where he'd previously only had emptiness. There was no way to repay that. There was no way that Louis could ever be as much for Harry as Harry was for him—but dammit was he going to try.