2: November Rain

November Rain by Guns N' Roses

There's no way, I must be imagining this. Oh my god. What the fuck.

George hastily powers off his phone, haphazardly throwing it on his nightstand. For most of his life he's longed for his soulmate, memorized every curve and line of his birthmark so he could identify it on anyone's body. George knew the shape better than most things in life. Somehow, just when he was giving up hope he found them, he found Dream. Seven billion people, spread all across the planet, the chance of George ever finding his soulmate were near impossible. And yet somehow, he found him. The mysterious twenty one year old from Florida is George's soulmate. A million thoughts seem to travel through George's mind, coming and going so quickly he can hardly grasp them and ponder them before another thought takes it's place. If George hadn't have been so exhausted he would've lied there and allowed himself to sort through his perturbations for a few more hours, but as these things seem to happen he fell into a restless sleep.

Several hours later when George awoke there was a split second where his mind was absolutely calm. For a brief moment everything was unknown and the lack of knowledge seemed to provide George with a sense of comfort. He always wished it could last longer, when the awareness of his existence comes flooding back into his memory he is once again faced with the reality. George shut his eyes, squeezing tightly, hoping if he did so hard enough he could fall back into the feeling. It never worked, but George figured it was at least worth a try. A ping from his phone caused his body to jump slightly and reach out for the small device, rubbing his eyes as he scrolled through the notifications taking up the screen. A text message from Dream from 'just now' sat at the top of the pile of notifications,

"Georgeee wake up!  We're playing on the smp get your ass here rn."

The time just above the notification read eleven twenty-two AM. The message from Dream made George's gut jerk slightly. The fact that George knew something about the two of them that Dream didn't made him feel guilty. How is he ever going to tell Dream? What if Dream doesn't believe him? What if Dream doesn't want him? Maybe Dream is one of the millions of people who don't care about soulmates, perhaps Dream never even noticed his own birthmark. It could be that George is the only one of the two who still believes in soulmates, who wants their soulmate. The whirlwind of worries is back. George sighs as he gets up from bed, allowing the anxious thoughts to roam freely through his brain as he saunters to the bathroom. A shower could do him good. George can't help himself from glancing at the small mark on his hand as the boiling hot water runs down his body. A smile grows on his face, George is pretty sure he wouldn't want anyone else but Dream to be his person.

When George finally finished getting ready and joined the game he was bombarded with the overwhelming eagerness to blurt out that he has the same birthmark as Dream. George wanted to send Dream a picture of his hand right now and break down the walls. He wanted Dream to notice and come running to him. For Dream to admit that he's also longed for George, that he traces the shape hoping whoever has it too will know he's thinking about them. But he doesn't. Instead George plays with his friends. Avoiding his desires and ignoring the pang in his heart every time Dream says his name. Sapnap and Badboyhalo were on the server too, all four of them in call talking about whatever came to mind. A few hours into their time online Dream begins telling stories about his childhood, rambling on about some strange experience he had at a theme park when he was ten. Under any other circumstance George would've been intently listening to the mans tale, but he couldn't help himself from getting distracted. Dream's voice seemed to put George in a sort of trance. Perhaps Dream does it intentionally, he knows everything George does and he's doing his best to distract from actually having a discussion about it.

"George? Hello?" Sapnaps voice rang, "I don't think he heard me, GEORGE? ARE YOU THERE?" Sapnap yelled into his mic. Causing George to jump in his seat, "WHAT?" he yelled back in shock. The three burst into laughter as George pretended to pout and be upset. "Dude you were on like a different planet!" Dream laughed, the laugh that he does when somethings extremely funny. The one where he empties all the air from his lungs, nearly wheezing but not quite. It reminds George of all the nights they've spent on call, always trying to say something that will make Dream laugh like that. Whispering into their mics even though they both live alone and won't disturb anyone by talking at full volume. Dream telling George, 'when we meet up I'm gonna hug you'. George blushing and replying sarcastically, 'I won't let you that close to me' resulting in them both laughing their heads off. And then when the sun starts to rise for George, Dream spends at least an hour convincing the Brit that he has to go to bed. Soon falling asleep to Dream softly whispering about some random story from middle school. George loves those nights. Especially now, knowing the reason why they are able to talk for hours without getting bored.

Soon Sapnap ended his stream, leaving the server shortly after. A bit later Bad left as well. Leaving Dream and George alone. "You've been so quiet today George. Is there something on your mind?" George smiled briefly when he hears Dreams words. Of course Dream would know somethings up. "I don't know. I guess I'm just tired." George shrugged, Dream humming in response. George held his breath for a moment.

I have to do this now. I can't keep this to myself forever. Dream would've found out eventually anyway.

Letting his breath rush out of his lips, George spoke again, "I gotta show you something I got." He chuckled nervously. Dream hummed again, "Okay, what is it?" George darted his eyes around his bedroom, looking for something that he could pretend he just got. "One sec. I'll send you a picture of it." George muted his mic, swearing under his breath as he scrambled through the drawer on his desk. A pen. A pen? That will have to do. George picked up the ballpoint pen and quickly snapped a picture of him it with his phone, making sure that his birthmark was visible and the center of the image. His hands shook, begging to let this whole thing go. For a fleeting moment George considered deleting the picture and leaving the call with Dream, make up some poor excuse that he had to go. Instead George opened his text conversation with Dream, selected the picture, and hit send. "George? Did you leave? Oh, I just got your picture-" George's breath hitched.

"What?" Dream let out a confused laugh, "A pen?"

Suddenly, all at once, the atmosphere shifted. Dream saw it. The mark. Exactly the same.

"George? your- the-" Dreams voice hushed, understandably at a loss for words.

The sound of the call ending rang. George quickly glancing at his screen to see 'call ended' with the timestamp below. His heart dropped to his stomach. Unable to move George sat still, eyes fixed on Dreams Discord icon. Why did he hang up? Did his computer crash? George felt like throwing up. This isn't want he had been anticipating. He thought Dream would be happy, shouting for joy. He thought Dream would be telling him how he had been waiting his whole life for George, how he's not even surprised it's George because he's loved him since the first time they spoke. Rather, Dream rudely left the call without saying a thing. Nothing. George felt tears pool in his eyes.

'Dream?' was all he could muster. Typing and sending without a second thought. The the dots popping up on the screen almost immediately. 'I don't want to talk.' Dreams message arrived with a buzz. The tears that had been threatening to fall burst out without warning, hotly rolling down George's cheeks. He hated to be so dramatic, he just never thought this was how things would go. George always imagined it would be so incredible when him and his soulmate finally found each other. Running into each others arms and crying tears of joy. But here George is, alone. Tears falling with no trace of joy in them.