yin, yang, and weird shit

I internally scream.

And there are few reasons for me to be doing so.

1. My foot just rammed into the leg of a chair. Hard. And fuck do I want to exhale a plethora of curses. 

Instead, a simple hijo de puta flies through my mind as I silently seethe, trying to caress my foot while preventing the tears from rolling down my cheeks. Because fuck if that feeling of jamming my whole-ass foot into the leg of a chair doesn't hurt like a bitch.

2. Tia Gina is here.

I don't want to hate my aunt. After all, we're legally family, I suppose. However, she's just asked me to stay out of the sun a little bit more, with those lips pulled into one of her thin smiles. Which emit the most judgemental vibes someone can muster.

Meanwhile, said lady left me to dissect how the fuck I'm supposed to manage "staying out of the sun" while being an athlete nearly every month of year. And training.

Outside.

Instead of asking Tia Gina why she felt like this was such a vital piece of information to share with me, I accidentally rammed my foot into the chair leg.

Ergo, the aforementioned plethora of curses.

Mama didn't say much at Tia's comment. She just stayed in front of the kitchen counter, whipping up some huevos rancheros or some shit while humming something vibrant to herself as though her sister wasn't seated right at the dining table, annoying the shit out of me.

Being the odd one out isn't the easiest shit. 

Exhaling, I whip my backpack over my shoulder, Tia Gina scrolling through her phone as I settle down on the chair opposite her, willing the pain in my foot to subside.

Shit has never been easy. Most of the time, what people find the most challenging about being adopted is that cultural disconnect that you might not have with your adopted family.

Funnily enough, that shit is the least of my concerns.

With both of my biological parents having been Afro-Latino, the Spanish they never got to truly speak to me was taught to me by my adopted family. I never lost my culture, never lost my parents' culture. Never lost my roots.