Ride

Two Months Later

 Lana and Charlotte were camping out in a small suburban house in a search of supplies. During these challenging months, their bond was unbreakable. They went from house to house in the small suburban area outside the city and luckily for them, there were almost no "monsters" there, named that by Charlotte herself. 

 Today their luck ran out. Lana was searching the kitchen of a small house for food and water when she heard the little girl doing their single signal that danger was coming when she looked out of the window she saw at least a hundred monsters coming their way probably from the city.

 There was no time left the singer and the girl moved the sofa to block the door and went upstairs. Locking themselves in the attic with almost no food or water. Charlotte was very scared, she has never seen so many of them in one place. 

 Lana put her finger in front of her mouth to signal Charlotte to keep quiet or else they will alert all of the flesh-eating things coming down the street. For the next few minutes, all that they could hear were groans and the sounds of things being pushed. 

 When the sounds stopped the girls were both very happy that they were safe and started unblocking the attic. Lana climbed down the ladder first and looked around the house to see if any of them somehow managed to get in. Fortunately, their small barricade on the first floor worked and the whole house was safe.

"Charlotte you can come down!" Lana said in a quiet voice and saw the girl coming down from the attic. Their original plan was to leave the suburban area and relocate somewhere in the rural villages away from the city but it was getting too dark so they decided to spend the night in the small residential house.

 It was time for dinner and all that they had was a can of beans and an expired steak that Lana found earlier. She split the beans between herself and the little girl and giving a little more to Charlotte since she is a child and they need to be fed more. They ate in silence like most nights because in this world silence is very important after all you never know who or what are you going to alert.

 Lana looked at the calendar hanging on the wall next to them and guessed that it is probably March right now. If the Outbreak never happened she would probably be releasing her newest album "Chemtrails Over the Country Club". She remembered shooting the video with her friends and family who she hoped were alive every day. The woman was so lost in her thoughts that she lost track of the time, it was already too late and they would be traveling tomorrow.

 She looked at Charlotte and told her quietly that is time for bed. The little girl went up to the attic and closed the door. Before going to bed Lana put a few traps in the house just in case someone with ill intent decided to visit them or just one of the monsters broke in. The woman put out the single candle in the room they were eating in and went to sleep ready for the big trip that was waiting for them tomorrow.

 Charlotte was happy that they survived another day. Every night when Lana thought she was sleeping she stayed up thinking about how hard life is now or how for the first life she is thankful her parents are dead because she would have never wanted them to see the world now. 

 More importantly, she is thinking about what would have happened if Lana never saved her. If she ran away and left her alone with all of these monsters in the park. She was very thankful to Lana that she didn't only save her but adopted her even though in this cruel and unforgiving world, children were not an easy task to manage.

 In the morning Lana and Charlotte were finally ready to get out of here. When they walked out of the building, they saw two teenage boys near Lana's white mustang. Before they could notice her Lana pointed her shotgun at them and Charlotte hid behind her. 

The boys looked at the woman with the gun at them and they put their hands in the air. One of them was blonde and wearing a red dirty hoodie and his friend had dark brown hair and glasses. The blonde one spoke up: "We do not have anything please don't harm us! We didn't know someone owned this car"

Lana put down her shotgun and went towards the boys. Their frightened looks stayed on their faces until she put up her hand and said:" I am sorry for that but you could never be too careful these days. I am Lana and the little lady over there is Charlotte!" Charlotte waved and smiled a little, even though she was scared of them at first, Lana seemed to be friendly with them so she tried, too.

 Both of the boys relaxed and the one with glasses said: "I am Lucas and this is my boyfriend, Nicolas. We were trying to get out of the city and travel to one of the villages but Nico's car broke down and our only option was walking."

 Lana looked at them and saw the big backpack on the blonde boy's shoulders. Before she could say anything, she went to Charlotte and whispered something in her ear, the girl gave a thumbs up. 

-"Well, lucky for you, we are driving in that direction but we also haven't eaten in days. If you could spare something we can take you there." Lana said while looking directly into their eyes.

 The teenagers looked desperate so they immediately agreed. They all went into Lana's beloved car and she started driving out of the suburbs and considering how far away their destination was.

 That was going to be a very long ride!