Part 45: The magic tower #2

Soul stealing. 

It was a forbidden art, one that robbed a human's identity. 

Once you were void of your soul, you were nothing but a empty-shelled body. 

But it was impossible to get the whole thing all at once, but it would work fine if you nipped a few sections at a time. 

But you shouldn't wait too long, or the soul will repair itself and you'll have to restart the process again from a whole soul. 

There were other forbidden arts that targeted the soul specifically, but this one was the biggest taboo out of all of them. 

It was used in the past, around 1000 years ago, but now barely anybody knew of it. 

It was useful for defeating enemies, but slowly. 

It was a sort of poison, nor a disease. 

No doctor could figure it out, unless a specialist came to look into it. 

And all those years ago, nobody had cared about using dirty tricks or whatsoever. 

Winning the war against the enemy country was the most important goal at mind. 

Though it wasn't specified, they used it on their enemies somehow.

All this country's dark sides had been covered by things the public would accept more, but imagine their disappointment if this information was leaked. 

As one of the soon-to-be leaders (or not) of this country, I was a bit ashamed of my position. 

Even as a high ranking person, I had never heard of it, and even if my father knew, he would never tell me. 

This type of dark arts was darker than the rest, no arguments would have been made to that. 

I slumped on my bed once more, this time closing the book with it. 

I had been reading for more than an hour since I was pushed out of the so-called medic room, bored out of my mind. 

I was glad that I had brought this book with me, but this information was not to be mentioned. 

I was planning to keep silent about this to my grave.

'Which was going to be soon.' 

I told myself. 

What was I even doing here, wasting my time?

This place was so far away from any civilization. 

So much that I couldn't even do something minor to prevent my death, or push the date back a bit. 

A sound of a knock on the wooden door ringed in my ear, and I got off my bed to get it. 

'Was this the result of the examination? Was someone sent to inform and bring me there?'

That would be great, but isn't this too fast? 

Any discovery and experiment would take an unbearable time along with failures on the way. 

I had expected it to be at least a week from now, or even a month. 

The weightless wooden door swung open with a swift pull, and I recognized the universal uniform of a mailboy, native to this world. 

Why would they use such a person to deliver results to me, when it was barely a 20-minute walk away?

"Oh! Are these the........." 

My words trailed off as I spotted a certain seal imprinted on the letter he brought out. 

"....Yes? If I'm not mistaken, that would be the royal seal....."