𝟎𝟏 | 𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

With a distraught groan, Gwen, Adeline's person maid, drew back the heavy curtains in the girl's room, bringing the blinding light with her actions.

"You're father is requesting your presence Adeline." Gwen was around the same age as Adeline, falling just behind by a year. She was kind and a warm hearted person. And she was Adeline's closest friend.

"Good morning Gwen." She rubbed her forehead with one of her hands before pulling herself into a sitting position on the large King sized bed. She lent her back against the wall, watching carefully as Gwen placed a tray on her bedside table after removing a book that Adeline had thrown on top of the night before.

"Sorry," Adeline scrunched her nose up as she gently took the book from Gwen's hand hesitantly, scolding herself for leaving it there. Gwen had asked her on numerous accounts to not leave her books there for in the mornings it was difficult to place her breakfast tray down when she had to use one of her hands to move the book and another to balance the tray at the same time. And every night Adeline forgot, despite having a photographic memory.

"It's quite alright Miss." Gwen was stern at times, having learnt her ways from her mother, who also worked for the Carrington's. Gwen's mother, Maria Smith, had been dear friends with Madeline Carrington, Adeline's mother. In fact, Maria had known Madeline practically all of her life. Madeline, when she was younger, was stuck inside as she lived in the far countryside. When she was eleven she was desperate for a friend, as where she lived was isolated and lonely. So her father hired Maria Smith to be her friend. It sounds strange but Adeline was ever so thankful for her grandfathers decision as it meant she had been able to meet Gwen. It didn't take long for both Maria and Madeline to become actual friends. When Maria needed money to, well, survive, Madeline offered her a position as her personal maid and ever since then Maria had followed Madeline, and stayed with the Carrington's through thick and thin. Around the time Madeline gave birth to Adeline, Maria had just gotten married to the Carrington's head chef. A year later she gave birth to Gwen and it was the start of Adeline and Gwen's friendship. 
Adeline always thought it was a lovely story. And it was one she liked to reply her mother telling her.

She threw her legs out of the bed and picked up a pastry with her dainty fingers. While she ate she used her other hand to hold her book open. Gwen tried to follow her around and offer her the clothes she would not be able to dress Adeline into when the girl wouldn't stop moving.

"I take it it's a no to the corset." Gwen chuckled, huffing as she stopped trying to chase the young girl who reminded her just of her the Lady of the house. "Just like your mother." Adeline just smiled cheekily, fond with the comment she received all the time.

"I'm working in the workshop today with grandfather, I'll wear my usual blue dress." She gave in to the maid.

"Your usual dress which you've worn for the past three days?"

"It's not like I'm going anywhere. And besides - you wouldn't have it any other way." Adeline grinned.

"I'm afraid you are correct Addy. How about a deal - you were this dress while I wash your blue one?" Clearly Gwen wasn't going to give in any time soon, so to put an end to it quickly Adeline simply agreed.

"Very well. But no corset. Just the dress." And they were at an agreement.

Once Adeline had bathed and dressed she retreated downstairs towards the large dining room where her father was said to be. Gwen had left to do her daily jobs, including washing Adeline's favourite blue dress. Knocking on the already pushed open large mahogany doors, she stepped into the room. Her father looked up from the paper he had been reading as she entered.

"Adeline, dear, how are you this morning?" He was awfully enthusiastic and - he was smiling. A lot. She furrowed her eyebrows as she hesitantly made her way to the long table. Breakfast was laid in front of her father and he had began to eat some toast before she had entered.

"I'm... fine. Wonderful actually - I'm joining grandfather today-" she began in a confused tone before perking up, however her father cut her off.

"Oh, yes, about that - you will have to reschedule." He said simply, peering over the small lenses sat upon his nose as he looked back to his newspaper.

"I beg your pardon?" She recoiled back in confusion.

"You heard me Adeline." He said in a stern voice.

"I heard you father - but for whatever reason?" She walked closer, her dark brown curls a tangled mess.

"You're brother will be arriving shortly." Adeline had to take a moment to digest the words.

"Sebastian? He's back in England? In London?" She asked eagerly, an excited smile taking over her once confused features.

"He and Louise will be arriving later this afternoon. So I expect you to dress nicely. He has written saying he has important business to discuss." Adeline had to hold in an eye roll. She had expected Louise to also be with her brother, but it didn't mean she hadn't hoped that Louise would stay in America. Adeline was also not so surprised that her brother was only visiting to discuss business. Men, ugh. Nice dresses, double ugh.

"Why must he only ever visit when business is in the equation?" Adeline huffed. She knew she sounded childish, compared to her usual smarter behaviour. She wasn't described as mature, because she was a flirt and tease and had been told many, many times to grow up. But she didn't usually act childish.

"You're brother is a busy man." Her father simply stated, clearly wanting Adeline to stop with her pestering.

"Too busy to want to spend time with his family." Adeline meant to mutter it quietly to herself however her father had heard. He looked up, peering through his glasses before chucking the paper onto the table with his reading glasses following pursuit.

"I know you miss Sebastian being around Adeline but he's a grown man with responsibilities. Neither of you are children anymore." Adeline had to keep in another eye roll.

"So I keep being told." She mused in frustration.

"Then start acting like it." She watched as her father went back to his previous actions, ignoring her presence, indicating he was done with the conversation. With a huff she turned to walk out of the room, letting her eyes roll in annoyance as he could no longer see her.