Chapter 23 -Adrenaline

"I like the adrenaline rush. It's all about the no guts, no glory kind of stuff.:

-Abhinav Sakalle

-

Trevor's POV

I opened my eyes and scanned the quiet surroundings. I heard soft snores coming from beside me and saw that Alana was pressed against me and my arms were tightly wrapped around her.

The warmth that spread through me felt so foreign yet so good that I just stared at Alana in amazement.

How did I chance upon a beauty like her?

While I was staring, all my daydreams about bringing Alana out on dates were interrupted by my phone that was ringing outside.

I unwrapped my arms from Alana really carefully for a fear that I would wake her up. I quickly rushed out of the room after, trying to push back thoughts on why I suddenly felt so cold without Alana's presence.

I picked up the phone and saw "Father" on the screen.

Why was my dad calling at 9am in the morning?

Regardless of how puzzled I was, I picked up the call, anticipating nothing much but a "get well soon" since I was on sick leave.

However, I was so wrong.

"Trevor," my father grimly said my name.

"Yes dad?" I asked unsurely.

"Sick leave? Son, you are the CEO! You should be at work instead of just lazing around at home! YOU'RE SO WEAK! WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED TO YOU THAT YOU SKIP WORK" my father bellowed into the phone.

I couldn't help but place the phone further from my ear.

I felt that my ear drum was going to burst any moment now.

My father continued, "TREVOR KEANE KNIGHT! ARE YOU LISTENING? ANSWER ME!"

My head was still spinning and had a dull ache that seemed to never go away and my father just made it even worse.

I replied calmly, trying to steady myself from the dizziness I was experiencing, "Yes I am dad...I came down with quite a bad flu so I left early yesterday and took leave today to stay home and rest. I will be back tomorrow. I promise.

"YOU ASSHOLE! THAT IS NOT ENOUGH! YOU HAVE SO MANY CLIENTS TO MEET TODAY AND YOU JUST CANCELLED? I DON'T ACCEPT THAT!" My father continued to scream his lungs out.

At this point all I heard was him shouting at me to work. Getting up to rush to pick the phone call already made my head spin but now I felt like throwing up as well.

"I want to see you in video conferences with the clients right now. I'll be hearing from your secretary about the successful meetings. NOW GO AND STOP WASTING TIME JUST LYING AROUND! MONEY IS ON THE LINE HERE," my father hollered and then hung up the phone.

Shouldn't a father try and understand their child more? I'm sure I clearly stated that I was sick...a father should say something like "get well soon"?

Brushing aside all the thoughts aside now, I placed the phone down on the table and went to my study room and started to attend all the video conferences planned out for me.

I felt like just leaving but I knew my father was watching me and I hate to be the cause of his disappointment and anger...

-

Alana's POV

I woke up and looked around Trevor's room to see if he was around because the bed was cold and the whole place felt really empty.

I made the bed, went out of the room and went to look for Trevor.

The time was 10am and I was shocked. Normally because of all the nightmares, I never slept past 8am. However today I slept for a much longer time and I felt great. It was the most comfortable sleep I've ever gotten in years.

I walked towards the kitchen to get a glass of water and walked around the first floor, searching for any traces of Trevor.

Where could he have gone? I know he works six times a week but I'm sure he took leave and is home right now.

Did he go out?

I walked around the garden as well, in case he may be taking a breath of fresh air but to no avail, he wasn't there.

I went back into the house and heard a phone ringing. I placed my cup down on the same table the phone was ringing on and realised it was Trevor's.

I saw the word "Father" written on it and decided it would be okay to ask his dad to hold on while I go and find Trevor for him since I needed to find him too.

I picked the phone up and placed it covering my ears, only for me to hear hollering that would make anyone lose their voice in an instant.

"TREVOR KEANE KNIGHT! WHERE ARE YOU? YOU'RE LATE FOR THE CONFERENCE! ARE YOU SLACKING? YOU ASSHOLE, STAYING HOME AND SKIPPING WORK? YOU? SICK? NONSENSE! GET YOURSELF RIGHT HERE IN THE OFFICE NOW BEFORE I FIRE YOU!" Maxwell Knight screamed until his voice cracked at the end.

I was rooted to the ground with absolutely no words to say...

Trevor...your life...isn't all that perfect as it seems to be...

"Hello? Trevor? ANSWER ME YOU BRAT!" Maxwell Knight continued shouting.

I hung up on the phone, suddenly feeling furious.

How could a father talk like that? His own son is sick and he what? He wants his son to work? Is he out of his mind?

Thanks to all the screaming about work, I found out where Trevor is.

I knew his company worked on Saturdays but seriously? Is he actually working right now when he's sick?

I knocked on the door of the study room and there was no answer.

I opened the door to find him typing away at his computer and focusing on the person speaking over Zoom.

I was livid.

Why was he working when he was sick? He must be really dumb or something.

With all the adrenaline coursing through my veins after all the moments that led up to this, I stormed into the room and took Trevor's hand and pulled him up.

"We're leaving," I announced and just switched his computer off in the middle of the conference, ignoring Trevor's protests and attempts at trying to shrug my grip on his arm.

As I pulled him along on the way back to his bedroom, I could feel he was burning up all over again. Of course he would go and work.

I think it was thanks to all the adrenaline, I felt so alive.

I just rebelled for once in my life and took Trevor away from his duties too.

I am literally on cloud nine.

Trevor was still protesting which sort of killed my mood but I still kept pulling him along back to his bedroom, ignoring everything.

Thanks to the adrenaline rush, I felt as if I had all the guts in the world, like I could do anything that I wanted to right here, right now and forever.

What I will do is be by his side.

Not his degrading father.

Not anyone else.

Me.

-

Hey! Update!~
I know...I think I can only do 1 chapter a week because I realised how hectic my week is and my only free time genuinely starts around 10 at night and I have like other commitments too.

I'm sorry but when holidays come, I'll update more often :D
Thanks for all the support guys! I seriously can't believe that my story has over 400 views because I really expected only 100 at the most with no votes.
Thanks for voting too because it makes my day after all the stress and it makes my tiredness melt away :D

Until next time :D