Chapter 9| AYA

"Are you okay, Aya?" Jane asked me while we were on our way to W. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. However, I feel uncomfortable that I will see the HR officer after the incident. I am so embarrassed."

"Nothing to worry about. HI think R told me about it yesterday, and it already settled everything,"

Jane got my biggest smile. I didn't get the courage to tell her that Cid came with me to the cemetery yesterday. I don't want her to think beyond. For sure she won't stop teasing me about it if she would know. What's important is that I will not make the same mistake as yesterday. I don't want Cid or anyone else blamed for my wrongdoing. 

***

"What? Me? Permanently assigned in the garden? Why?"

I can't believe what Len, the shift manager, just told me. I was told that starting today, they are permanently assigning me to the garden. And before I begin my cashier work, I have to make one flower arrangement daily. 

Is this some joke? After what happened yesterday, I planned not to step inside the garden unless it is my shift, which is like 1-3x a week, only for 30 minutes to an hour per shift. And now I have a permanent assignment in the garden?

Though I am still confused and surprised, I don't have a choice but to follow my assignment. I walked toward the garden and felt a little nervous. Then, I remembered the last time I was inside the garden when I almost freaked out. Hopefully, I will survive my entire shift without the creepiness. 

When I entered the garden, shock took over me. Sitting on the cashier's chair is Cid. He is looking at me with a big smile on his face. I can't explain why, but since he tried reaching out his hand to me yesterday after we came back from the cemetery, I felt awkward towards him. 

"What are you doing here, Cid? Don't you have a shift somewhere?"

"Aya, My Aya! My assignment is here inside the garden. Isn't it amazing? You don't have to check on me anymore because I will always be right here."

"Are you serious? Since when did they assign someone other than a cashier in the garden?"

"Um, maybe today! We are going to be partners now Aya, My Aya!"

I can't believe what Cid just said. Is this some prank or punishment from HR? Is Mr. Waldon testing us? I'm not sure how working with Cid around will be. He is playfully following me around. 

"Why don't you arrange the plant displays instead of following me around? So they can see us on the camera. I don't want HR and Mr. Waldon to have any reason to get upset with us again."

"Yes, My Aya! I will do as you say!" 

As Cid started with the displays, I arranged the flowers they assigned me to make. Everything that is happening right now, from the assignment changes and with Cid being around, seemed to confuse me. What is going on? Cid is so lucky to be assigned here for his first day. All trainees, mostly the guys, get assigned to do the heavy lifting on their first day. 

I accidentally looked in Cid's direction, and it surprised me to see him staring at me. I immediately looked away. But I am sure he saw me looking at him. 

"Don't worry, My Aya, I am here for your entertainment pleasure!" 

It startled me that Cid was already standing beside me. 

"Why do you call me "My Aya"? Can you please stop calling me like that?"

"What is wrong with that, My Aya?"

"It just doesn't sound right to you know. And besides, I am not your Aya!"

"Ouch! You are breaking my heart, My Aya! 

Cid pretended to be touching his chest while showing a sad face. I ignored him and finished the flower arrangement I was making. For the entire shift, he was fooling around after doing tasks I asked him to do. I wondered why HR wasn't coming into the garden to give him more things to do. I am sure they can see him on the camera. Though I am still confused, I feel more responsible that he shouldn't be seen just fooling around during shifts. What happened yesterday can't happen again. They might fire him for real, if ever. 

During our lunch break, Cid got a call, and he said he needed to go somewhere for the one-hour break. So I joined Jane in the Pantry area for lunch. 

"So, where is your sidekick?" asked Jane.

"Thank God he is somewhere for the one-hour break! I feel disoriented by his antics and all!"

"That is new! Aya getting disoriented... by a male species!" and Jane smirked and winked at me.

I gave Jane a frown. I know what she is thinking, but I feel disoriented because Cid is always hovering around. Not for anything else. When lunch break was over, I went back to the garden. 

Good luck, Aya! Brace yourself! 

To my surprise, the afternoon shift ended, but Cid didn't return from the lunch break. I thought maybe he got assigned to another area. 

Maybe they saw through the cameras that his time was not being used here in the garden. Good for him! Thank God! I get my peace back.

At the end of the shift, I met Jane in the locker. As we walk to the parking lot, I didn't realize that Jane was already talking to me.

"Hey, Aya! Are you okay? What's going on? Care to share?" Jane snapped her finger near my face.

"Uh! I feel tired!"

"Really, huh?! That's different! You usually feel bored and useless when you are working in the garden. I doubt it!" Jane said in a doubtful tone.

***

Five days passed, and Cid didn't show up in the garden anymore. It was weird that I was hoping he would show up at least once to say goodbye if they assigned him to another area. But I got away from the idea. Anyway, it is better for me because I can do a lot in the garden. So since fewer customers were in the garden, I fixed the displays and made more arrangements. 

Many customers and W employees liked the difference in the garden. As Jane said, my personal touch makes the atmosphere in the garden more inviting and comfy. So, two weeks after the last time I visited Angel, I took a day off. 

"What are you going to do tomorrow?" asked Jane.

"I will visit Angel. I haven't visited for two weeks now."

"Cid didn't show up in the garden at all? I asked the other area supervisors, and no one saw him. Nor did the office inform them of anything about him at all. So I wonder what happened to him?" said Jane.

"Maybe he quit?!" I sounded unsure and worried at the same time. 

What if they fired him? Come to think of it, he didn't even show up after getting that call. 

What happened to you, Cid?

***