5.06

The residents waited anxiously to hear the result of their solo surgery in their lounge, Helena reading an article

The residents waited anxiously to hear the result of their solo surgery in their lounge, Helena reading an article. Suddenly, an intern came through the door.

"He said Karev!" He told them.

"Yes!" Alex let out, victoriously.

"Are you sure?" George asked, his voice high pitched.

"Yes."

"You're sure sure?" Helena confirmed, the boy falling silent. "Good, at least I still have a shot."

A few minutes after, Graciella came through the door. "Stevens! He said Stevens!"

At that, Izzie perked up, Alex asking. "Which is it, moron? Stevens or Karev?"

"This is stupid. You guys are gonna trust these imbeciles to tell you who's getting solo surgery?" Cristina scoffed.

"Is this hard for you? Being banned from the solo surgery? It must be really hard for you." Izzie said, a bitchy smirk on her face.

"Is it hard for you, knowing Cristina not being on the run is the only way you even have a shot?" Helena shot back, not putting up the blond's bitchy streak.

At that, Alex snorted as George giggled, Cristina shooting her a thankful smile.

"He might change his mind. He's been know to change his mind." Meredith shrugged.

"Grey!" Another intern stubbled into the room. "The Chief said Grey."

"The interns aren't lip readers, this is just stupid." Helena shared, focusing back on her article.

"Yeah, this is bogus." Alex agreed.

"You just figured that out?" Bailey scoffed. "You just have to way for the attendings to vote just like we did when I won."

"You won solo surgery?" Cristina asked.

"Of course she did." Helena smiled at her former resident.

"I'm gonna pretend you didn't need the need to ask me that question, Yang. Lena's right, of course I won. I was good." Bailey sipped on her coffee. "I didn't cut Lvad wires, put my hand in bomby body cavities or have my interns operate on themselves! I was special. I was young, gifted and black, and everyone knew it."

"Well, I didn't do any of those either!" Helena perked up, a smile on her lips. "Maybe I'm young, gifted and... Portuguese?" The girl asked, scrunching up her nose at how weird it sounded.

Bailey shot her an amused smile as she went on. "I didn't have to act like I could read lips. Just go about my work and calmly wait for my name to be called."

Just then, Lexie ran into the room. "Ok, it's done."

The residents shared a look, Izzie looking to the empty spot on her side. She'd been doing that a lot lately, Helena noticed. Huh, weird.