book 2 - chapter 9

The boat docked a few moments ago. Now, the plank is connected to the port and I'm setting foot in Republic City for the first time in months. The warm air causes goosebumps to crawl along my skin, and flashbacks of my first time in this city play in my head. Of a time when everything was new, and Korra and I weren't fighting.

I hate to say this, but I can't picture our friendship going back to how we used to be before this fight. And, I'm not talking about how she went back to Republic City to be with Mako (and I firmly believe this, as I think that she could've done her training back home, as with the election of President Raiko, Uncle Tenzin didn't have any Councilman duties anymore and could've easily stayed in the South Pole to monitor her training), I'm talking about how she so blindly followed Unalaq no matter how many times Tenzin warned her, I warned her, and even Mako warned her.

And now, she's acting like she's always been loyal to and an advocate for the South. Frankly, it's pissing me off. I don't know what's gotten into her – if it's being in a relationship, or mastering all the elements, or just something, but she's not acting like the girl I grew up with, the girl that was there for me no matter what.

I'm snapped back from my rambling thoughts by the sound of Chief Beifong's voice. "Welcome home, Avatar. Thanks for starting a war."

In my opinion, Korra technically didn't start a war, Unalaq did. It just became evident once Korra got her head out of her ass and actually did something. But it's not like my opinion matters anyways, the people will believe whatever they want to believe.

"I didn't start a war!" Korra objects. "Well, I did, but it's more complicated than you're making it seem."

Completely disregarding the Avatar's words, the Chief of Police turns to face the firebender standing in front of her. "Mako, I want you back on the beat. There's going to be a Southern Water Tribe peace march tonight. I need you there to make sure things don't get out of hand."

"I'm all yours." Mako says firmly.

"I'll go too!" Korra states, causing all of us to turn and face her. "The people of the South need to see that the Avatar is on their side in the fight against the Northern invaders."

"Great. That should calm them down." Beifong says sarcastically. Then, surprisingly, she turns to face me. "It wouldn't hurt if you partnered up with Mako, braids. This whole situation is so out of hand that I could use all the help I can get. I'll pay you for the gig."

I gulp as I feel everyone's eyes on me. I guess working a gig and making some money wouldn't hurt me. And besides, after the whole kidnapping, jail time, and death sentence thing I think it'd be better for me to just ensure the safety of the Southern people instead of causing more trouble. "It would be an honor, Chief." I hear myself say without fully realizing it. And, since when does she call me 'braids'?

"By the way, braids. You might want to check out the docks where the United Forces are stationed before the march starts. Your boyfriend can't stop whining about how much he misses you. It's terribly annoying, really." Beifong informs me, making a deep crimson blush appear on my cheeks. "You'd think him being a general would make him less of a crybaby, but no."

"Is she talking about Iroh?" I hear Asami whisper in my ear. When I turn to look at her, there's this a big smirk plastered on her face.

I fiddle with my fingers. "I guess."

As Beifong turns around and begins to step away, I notice Mako turn to face his girlfriend. "Maybe you should sit this out." He suggests.

"What?" She exclaims, clearly not liking her boyfriend's suggestion.