san francisco

(17/09/17)

The San Francisco sun shines through the high windows as I walk through the baggage claim area, searching for the sticker-coated suitcase that belongs to me. It's been five minutes, and I've had no luck. This honestly does not surprise me in the slightest, considering my track record with things like this.

Finally, after another ten minutes, I see the colourful skin of my luggage come into view. I lunge for it immediately, and drag it off the conveyor belt, desperate for a mocha. I've had to inhale the delicious scent of Starbucks while I stand here, and it's driving me crazy.

It's quite funny how the first thing I buy on my journey is a mocha.

I text my family saying that I have arrived safely, not waiting for their responses as I take off, suitcase in hand, rucksack on my back, to the taxi area.

I may not have travelled very much in my two decades of life, but I've seen enough instagram videos of America to know how the taxis operate.  I wave one over, and get in to begin the short drive to my hotel.

The beauty of San Francisco flashes by in a blink, all wonderful colours and bright street lights. Skyscrapers stand tall in attempts to graze the sky's limits, and a few clouds linger in the aquamarine bliss. It's the most urban kind of beauty I've ever seen.

I open my phone camera to see how I look after the long flight, and to no surprise, I resemble a sloth.

My mascara has fallen into small flecks under my lower eyelashes, and the miniscule amount of concealer I was wearing has worn off. I run a hand through my ginger hair. I got my highlights redone just before I left, which was incredibly smart I must say. I pout at my reflection, my lips curving up at the ends when I notice a quiet flicker of blue in my silver eyes.

The taxi pulls up outside of a high cream coloured building. It has many many windows, all of the same tall height, and a dramatic mahogany door is introduced by a steep staircase that looks like it has come directly from a disney film.

I thank the driver, and retrieve my belongings from the boot.

Apparently the whole team is going to be staying at this hotel until the show in a few days, and then we will be travelling mainly by bus. This excites me, because I absolutely love long car rides. I have no idea why, because it's very strange I'll admit, but there's just something about being able to relax for hours on end that comforts me.

I probably sound like a madwoman, don't I?

I make my way into the hotel, pausing multiple times to admire the sight in front of me. Passersby can definitely tell I haven't travelled much, because the smallest things seem to amaze me. In this particular second, it's the cute little pot plant on the check in desk.

I internally praise whoever looks after it, because it is the living definition of thriving.

I feel very out of place here. As I wind through the endless hallways trying to find my room, I can't help but wonder if I should have come. It just feels so surreal.

The room is divine. All crisp white bedsheets and expensive glass vases with flawless orchids springing out, and I can't forget the massive flat screen TV. This whole room is probably worth more than my life.

I set about unpacking since I'll be here a few days. I lay my copious amount of clothes out, and begin to section through them. A smile rises on my lips when I see my four year old hockey jumper from high school.

Does Willa know I brought it? No.

Does she need to know? Also no.

I recognise the lilac tank from our shopping spree, along with an elegant polka dot dress that falls midway to my knee. My fingers trace over the butterfly print on a new sweatshirt I bought, just in case we go anywhere chilly. But I think my absolute favourite clothing item here is the wide legged pair of linen trousers I brought along.

They are incredible, and I am very much in love.

Maybe they can be my definition of love.

I start haualing the collections into different drawers, pretending not to notice when I see a small pasta stain on a sleeve. Only Angel blasts in the space, with me doing silly little shimmies and dances around the beige carpet.

I eventually get bored unpacking, and decide that it's time for some lunch, mainly because I was looking at my single pack of TimTams very longingly, and I'm trying to savour their sweet taste.

The elevator rings loudly when I reach the bottom floor. My sneakers leave funny looking marks on the  carpet not stains, but little indents from the unique pattern on the sole. Bracelet threatening to fall off my wrist, and shoelaces getting squashed, I make my way to the pretty cafe in the corner of the foyer.

It reminds me of the one at home. The same vibes, same vines, and a similar looking menu. After spending too long scanning the smoothie options, I select the mango honey blend, and lean back on my chair.

While I'm looking at the pattern on one of the leaves, I hear a spurt of laughter from behind me. A tall brown haired girl with a stylish red cardigan walks into the cafe area with another girl. She has amazing dark hair swirled neatly into a bun, and is wearing boots the colour of caramel.

I don't know what to do, because I recognise them immediately as members of Harry Styles's band.

The same band I will be touring with for the next few months.

My heart palpitations start when the first girl, Sarah, catches my strange stare, and a look of realisation washes over her face. She strides over to my table, with Charlotte trailing behind her in confusion.

Don't mess this up, Nixie. Please.

"Hello, I don't believe we've met yet. I'm Sarah." She gives a happy smile, and holds out her hand.

I take it, and gently return the hand shake. To be completely honest I don't feel like I'm actually here. I feel like I'm watching my idiot self make a perfectly normal situation way more awkward than it should be.

"I'm Charlotte. You're the photographer right?" She asks.

"Yeah," I nod weakly. "My name is Nixie..."

"It's great to finally meet you Nixie! Hey, do you want to sit with us? We'd love your company?" Sarah offers.

I'm surprised how welcoming they are. I mean, it's not that I thought they would be rude, but I didn't expect them to be so friendly so quickly.

"Yeah, sure, I'd love to, if you're sure you don't mind..." I stumble.

Sarah picks up my bag, glancing at the sticker collection before grinning and dragging me over to their table. A smile lifts up my eyes, forming crinkles in the designated lines.

I take the seat opposite Charlotte, sitting by Sarah. I feel like she'll become a mentor figure to me, there's just something about her that makes her seem very intelligent and experienced in this world.

She rests her head on the tips of her hands as she turns to face me.

"So, how are you feeling about this?"

"By this, do you mean the tour?" I ask, mentally face palming myself.

No shit sherlock, of course she meant the tour.

"Yeah!"

"Well, I'm pretty nervous about it, as you can probably tell. But I'm also so, so excited to take photos. I love taking photos. So much." I ramble.

Slow smiles spread across their faces, and they share a look between them that I can only hope is good.

"I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how old are you?" Charlotte questions.

"Yeah, you look so young." Sarah laughs.

"Oh, I just turned twenty recently." I fiddle with my rings, and smile.

They share another look, this time of pure shock.
"You're only twenty?!"

"I wish I was this put together when I was twenty." Sarah jokes.

We laugh, and continue our conversation over our drinks. My smoothie is absolutely delicious. I can already tell that we will become firm friends, which is a very comforting feeling.

Here's to a new adventure!

VOTE AND COMMENT PLEASE!!!

e.