Chapter Twenty Nine

29•••

29
•••

Through darkness behind your eyes, and the senselessness of your ears, your world shakes in the flash of a light.

"Princess—"

Blown fully awake from slumber, you strain your jarred eyes to the window where fiery smoke ascends in the air with a rumble of shouts and sticks and stones and anything of the sort you could imagine hammering at the palace walls—

"We must hurry you to safety, Your Highness" the urgency, the casted alarm on Suho's face spikes fear on your skin—

Boom.

Ice cold panic washes over you completely. It was so close- just as if it was below you of the west wing—

Suho throws the sheets off of you in your shock and he wraps you in your robe, gripping your shoulders and leading your confoundedness out of bed and running out the door in his guide.

Your heart thrashes inside, beating erratically in terror of what is really going on- you have a terribly good idea of what is.

Suho keeps you within his protection and keeps your head low. You hear the shrieks of servants running to hide from the chaos of armed, shouting men- throwing from the outside whatever they hold as ammunition at the walls, the windows- but you can't see it. You keep your head down to your racing feet and in another booming explosion from the outside, a force so strong, it shatters the windows and pushes you and Suho away from it- smoke hazes your world in an instant.

"Don't stop, Your Highness" Suho carries most of your weight as you descend the stairs, and your wired, fearful thoughts jumble with each step, juggling the words out of your mouth when you ask what is truly going on- you know nothing he will say will be better than what you are already thinking, "The provincial residents have ambushed the palace" he distresses, ragged in his breathing, but his focus and haste is unbothered in getting you to safety, "It is a revolution against the King, but we must hurry now, Princess" and you are given no time to comprehend the rush of current disasters because you run down familiar floors of the east wing and in passing through the kitchen door, part of this escape is quiet and dark. The turmoil of the people is hushed and seemingly far from where you stand, shaking in fright.

Suho releases you to unlock the door to the wine cellar.

The door behind you shackles and you jump behind your guard— he withdraws his sword—

"Heavens!" Ms. Choi exclaims, aghast at the pointed steel at her. She closes the door and Suho puts down his sword, "Do you point that at just anyone?"

"Accompany the Princess" he orders her, opening the cellar door wide and handing your shaken mentor a box of match sticks.