0 - 1

Levi Ackerman was never one for waiting.

When he wants something, he gets it. When he needs something done, he does it. Even now, hand-to-hand sparring with some of the other Survey Corps, he refuses to wait for his opponent to come to him; he steps in and flips the taller man over his shoulder before he even has the chance to react.

"Cheap trick!" the man hisses from his spot on the ground. "Underground bastard!"

Levi shoots him a half-assed glare. As impatient as he is, he also isn't one to rise to cheap taunts.

The man scrambles to his feet, teeth bared in rage, but Levi's eyes are elsewhere. There's a man in a suit, not quite jogging but perhaps speed-walking towards Commander Erwin, who Levi suspects has an eye on him. Erwin is well aware that his agreement to join the Survey Corps is conditional, but there's always a look in his eye that makes Levi think that the man is preparing a presentation on why he should stay.

The man in the suit stops next to urgently and says something, short but urgent. "Asshole, pay attention to me!" his opponent snarls, but Levi simply ducks under his punch and sticks his foot out to trip him. His eyes are trained on Erwin, who's now looking at him.

The blond man smiles. Levi glares.

"Levi," Erwin calls, beckoning to him. The black-haired man shoots his opponent one last look before he jogs around the other people training, heading over to the commander.

The blond man gives him a salute. Levi doesn't return it.

If Erwin minds, he doesn't say. Instead, he grins. "Your time in the Survey Corps no longer rests upon a condition."

Levi quirks an eyebrow. "If you're going to give me a presentation, at least wait until I've cleaned up."

Erwin smirks. "She's awake."

He blinks in surprise.

No, Levi was never one for waiting.

So without another word, he turns on his heel and jogs- no, he's full on sprinting- towards the castle, his heart practically in his throat as he whips around a corner. Footsteps light against the ground, Levi runs like he's never run before, allowing himself to feel the slightest bit of hope for the first time since that night.

He should've known better.

.

Hello friends! A bit of info to help with your reading experience:

I refuse to use 'Y/N' because it drives me mad, so enjoy my attempt at a Levi x Reader story with no mention of 'Y/N' specifically. You're in for a slow burn, sort of enemies-to-lovers type story. I really wanted to write one where you're in the story following the story line. This has been in my drafts for ages and I figured it should finally see the light of day before I forget it.

I'm trying to work this out so that you've got an impact on the series. No useless bystanders here! 

A bit about me: I'm 19 and an experienced fanfiction writer, but all my popularity is on fanfiction.net, which doesn't cater to x reader stories, so I've finally arrived here. How fun.

Thank you endlessly for reading! It means the world! <3