prologue

Aurora's POV

"Darling, can you come downstairs for a moment there's someone I'd like you to meet." grandmother yelled up the stairs.

"Coming, I'll be right back Nev." I said quickly to Neville who wasn't paying attention. "Yeah, yeah." he responded, not caring what I was saying. I chuckled to myself and began trotting down the stairs.

I was met with the very furious whisper of my grandmother, who clearly didn't realize I had made it downstairs.

"She's not ready Remus, she's just a girl."

"Yes, a girl who deserves to know the truth about her parents."

"You think she deserves to know her father was a murderer?"

"Sirius is innocent and you know it, Augusta!"

"Sirius? As in Sirius Black? The one in Azkaban?" I asked shortly, already utterly confused.

Grandmother whipped her head around quickly looking at me and processing I was there.

"See she already knows!" the scar-faced man, who I'm guessing was named Remus, said triumphantly

"Knows what?" I asked, getting impatient with whatever this conversation was.

"Sit down darling, we have a lot to talk about." grandmother said looking fairly defeated.

"Hello. My name is Remus Lupin and I was very close friends with your parents, Aurora."

"What?" I asked wide-eyed and shocked

"Where do I even start?" he said, thinking out loud.

"Ah, I know."

*3 hours later*

I was mind-blown.

"Okay so recap, my mother was killed by a defeated Dark Lord named Voldemort," grandmother flinched slightly, "in the same war that killed Harry Potter's parents, and caused Mom and Dad to not know who they are anymore. And my father was trying to kill the person who caused Harry Potter's parents to die, and instead of doing so, got framed for the murder of a ton of muggles?" I asked making sure I didn't sound completely insane even though there was no way around that much.

"Yeah, pretty much." Remus said like it was no big deal. Grandmother shook her head and rolled her eyes at him.

"Yeah, and I'm the muggle Prime Minister.'

"Definitely Sirius's kid. Would you like to see a picture of him Aurora?"

"Yes please, that would be wonderful."

Remus, who I had gotten pretty close to in the 3 hours he was talking about my father, pulled out a piece of parchment and showed me a picture of man who had my same curly black hair and light grey eyes.

"Oh my god." I said in shock. My eyes started watering and I could feel the stinging. My throat tightened at the thought that my father was still alive and I might get to see him one day.

"Alright Remus, that's quite enough. Off to bed with you Aurora. You need to make sure your trunk is packed before we leave for school tomorrow."

"Okay grandmother, you're right, but Remus?" i asked quietly

"Yes darling?"

"Could I maybe keep this photo?" I asked shyly. I wanted to be able to remember my father when I needed to not feel so lonely.

"Of course Aurora, and please feel free to write to me. Just address the letter to me and Kalliope will know where to take it." He responded with a smile, referring to my owl.

I folded up the picture, but carefully as not to crease it, and gave Remus the tightest hug I possibly could.

"Until I see him again, could you be my fake dad?"

Remus looked at me with a smile and tears in his eyes.

"Of course darling. Promise to owl me?"

"I promise."

Grandmother also had tears in her eyes and a smile on her face.

"Okay, maybe this wasn't the worst idea ever."

I went back upstairs to Neville asleep on his bed with his trunk half packed.

I chuckled quietly to myself and since my trunk was already packed, I finished packing his as well.

I went to bed very happy that night, excited for what Hogwarts would bring for me.