Chapter Sixteen

George woke before Clay did, not intentionally. It was the knock that sounded through his room that made him stir. At first, he ignored it, assuming it was just his usual wake up, and they would leave after. But that was not the case. The voice of his older brother came from behind the door.

"George. Are you up?"

Hearing Wilbur's voice made him immediately sit up. The arm that was lazily thrown across his waist fell gently. George ignored the fact that, somehow, in the middle of night, him and Clay started cuddling.

"I am now. What do you need, Wilbur?" His voice was filled with sleep and slight worry, due to the other sleeping person in his bed.

"Oh, it's just some last minute prep for tomorrow. Can I come in?"

"No," George shouted quickly before adding, "Um, can I meet you in a few minutes? I need to get ready."

"Yeah, that's fine. I'll be down stairs in the foyer," the sound of Wilbur walking away followed after his words.

George let out a sigh he didn't realize he was holding in, while looking down at Clay who had his face shoved into a pillow. George was surprised he hadn't woken up. He must have been a heavy sleeper. He didn't want to wake him up, but it seemed he had too.

"Clay," George slightly shook his sleeping friend's shoulder.

Clay only groaned before turning his head away from George.

"Clay, you have to get up." George shook his shoulder again.

"Five more minutes," Clay's voice was heavy with sleep, which made it seem deeper than it usually was.

"Clay, seriously," George rolled his eyes before speaking again, "Fine. You better be up before I finish getting dressed."

With that, George got up and headed towards his closet, where he pulled out his clothes for the day. He headed to the bathroom that was connected to his room, leaving Clay alone to hopefully wake up.

He did, only after half way through getting dressed, George yelled out saying if he wasn't awake he was going to dump freezing water on his head.

When George entered the room, Clay was sitting criss cross on the edge of the bed. He still looked half asleep, and he definitely had bed head.

"Well, look who's finally up," George walked over so he stood in front of him.

"Why did you even wake me up, George? I'm still so tired."

"I wouldn't have if my brother didn't almost catch us." He moved to sit next to Clay

"What? How? I didn't even hear anyone." Clay rubbed his eyes.

"Yeah, you were, like, dead asleep," George giggled slightly before adding, "But, yeah, Wilbur came by saying he needed me for something. He almost walked in."

"So, I guess that brings our sleepover to an end?" He gave George a fake smile.

"I guess so." George returned the sad smile.

"Don't look so down, Georgie. Not only is your birthday tomorrow, but you get to see me again," Clay gave him a soft smile before reaching up to mess up his hair.

"You are so annoying."

"Oh, you love me," Clay lightly punched his shoulder.

"I do not," George rolled his eyes.

"Ouch, George. That one hurt," Clay put his hand over his heart.

"Shut up," George rolled his eyes again while pushing Clay's shoulder.

"I should get going. Don't want to keep your brother waiting," Clay stood up, heading toward the window.

"Okay. Goodbye, Clay," George sighed.

"Bye, Georgie. See you tomorrow. I'll meet you in the field after sun down, okay?"

George only responded with a nod and a little wave before Clay headed out the window. George stayed to make sure he got out of the castle walls safely. Once he made sure Clay was on his way home, he headed out of his room and down the stairs.

Walking into the foyer, he saw Wilbur sitting in one of the chairs that sat in front of an unlit fireplace. George took the seat next to him.

"What did you need, Wil?"

"Mom wanted me to go over some last minute things for the party tomorrow. She thought you were probably sick of seeing strangers, and she thought it would be good practice for me." Wilbur pulled out a notebook.

"Oh, alright."

"Okay. So, for the dinner you've decided-"

George didn't pay much attention to what his brother was saying. He already knew what he had chosen for dinner and everything else he had already picked out. He had nothing against Wilbur, of course, although they were much closer before his training began, he still enjoyed his brother's company. He was just sick of everyone talking about his birthday. He didn't understand why it was such a big deal. He thought he would have been used to it by now, but still every year he gets just as annoyed. He would have preferred a smaller birthday, just him as his family having a simple dinner.

His thoughts drifted to Clay. He had so much fun with him last night. He was upset that it had to end so soon. He didn't expect waking up in his arms. He wondered if Clay even realized they were in that position before they woke up.

He wished Clay could be at his birthday, instead of waiting until night to finally see him. He wished he could spend his birthday alone with Clay. George wanted to spend every celebration with him, just the two of them.

George knew that would never be a possibility.