Special Moments in the Library

Harry and Ron left the hospital wing first thing on Monday morning, restored to full health by the ministrations of Madam Pomfrey and they were all able to enjoy the benefits of it, the best of which was that Hermione was friends with Ron again. Hermione even escorted Harry and Ron down to breakfast with Estella, which was then they told the boys that Ginny had argued with Dean.

"What did they row about?" asked Ron as they turned onto a seventh-floor corridor that was deserted but for a very small girl who had been examining a tapestry of trolls in tutus. She looked terrified at the sight of the approaching sixth years and dropped the heavy brass scales she was carrying.

"It's all right!" said Estella kindly, hurrying forward to help her. She tapped her wand with the broken scales and cast, "Reparo." The girl did not say thank you, but remained rooted to the spot as they passed and watched them out of sight; Ron glanced back at her.

"I swear they're getting smaller," he said.

"Wait, what did they fight about?" asked Harry, confused.

"Oh, he says that Ginny spends too much time with Luna. It didn't help that Dean was laughing about Luna's commentary and roaring lion hat," said Hermione.

"Doesn't he spend almost all his free time with Seamus?" asked Harry.

Estella nodded.

Before either of the boys could say something, Luna's voice rang throughout the corridor, "Harry!"

"Oh, hi, Luna."

"I went to the hospital wing to find you," said Luna, rummaging in her bag. "But they said you'd left..."

She thrust what appeared to be a green onion, a large spotted toadstool, and a considerable amount of what looked like cat litter into Ron's hands, finally pulling out a rather grubby scroll of parchment that she handed to Harry.

"...I've been told to give this to you. Oh, Estella, you are to see your grandfather tonight."

It was a small roll of parchment, most likely from Dumbledore.

"Tonight," Harry told the three Gryffindors.

"Nice commentary last match!" said Ron to Luna as she took back the green onion, the toadstool, and the cat litter. Luna smiled vaguely.

"You're making fun of me, aren't you?" she said. "Everyone says I was dreadful."

"No, I'm serious!" said Ron earnestly. "I can't remember enjoying commentary more! Estella and I were cracking up! What's this, by the way?" he added, holding the onion-like object up to eye level.

"Oh, it's a Gurdyroot," she said, stuffing the cat litter and the toadstool back into her bag. "You can keep it if you like, I've got a few of them. They're excellent for warding off Gulping Plimpies."

And she walked away, leaving Ron chortling, still clutching the Gurdyroot.

"You know, she's grown on me, Luna," he said, as they set off again for the Great Hall. "I know she's insane, but it's in a good-"

He stopped talking very suddenly. Lavender Brown was standing at the foot of the marble staircase looking thunderous.

"Hi," said Ron nervously.

"C'mon," Estella whispered, and they sped past, though not before they heard Lavender say, "Why didn't you tell me you were getting out today? And why was she with you?"

Ron came back sulking and annoyed when he appeared at breakfast half an hour later, and though he sat with Lavender, Estella did not see them exchange a word all the time they were together. Hermione was acting as though she was quite oblivious to all of this, but once or twice Estella saw an inexplicable smirk across her face. All that day she seemed to be in a particularly good mood, and that evening she agreed to look over (which meant, finish writing) Harry's Herbology essay, something she refused to do and told Estella not to do, because she had known that Harry would then let Ron copy his work.