4 - Detention with Sirius Black

The next morning you awoke to a cold feeling. The dog that once laid next to you was no longer there. You furrowed your brows, sitting up as you did so, wondering if the dog was ever here or if it was just a figure of your imagination. As you looked at where the dog once lay a smile began to spread on your lips when you noticed the black dog hairs that littered the white sheets of the hospital bed. He really was there but how the dog got into Hogwarts you didn't you but you were determined to find out. 

"You can go Miss (y/l/n)." Madam Pomfrey's voice pulled you out of your thoughts. The older woman gave you a warm smile and a nod of approval, confirming you were able to leave. Sending her a smile you climbed out of bed and began to get dressed behind the curtain. 

Madam Pomfrey never missed a thing. She wasn't a stupid woman, in fact, she was probably one of the smartest and kindest women you'd ever met. This meant when she walked over to change the sheets she would pick up on the black dog hair. She wouldn't let it slide despite how kind and caring she came across as so you pulled out your wand and muttered a simple cleaning spell which cleared the hairs away in seconds. Satisfied with what you'd done you bid Madam Pomfrey one last smile before grabbing your stuff and heading to The Great Hall for breakfast. 

As you entered the hall you noticed that the Marauders weren't sat opposite Lily and the rest of the girls. This gave you a chance to speak to the girls without either James or Sirius interrupting you. 

"(y/n)!" Lily smiled, getting up from the bench and running towards you, pulling you into a bone-crushing up, the rest of the girls got up and followed suit. 

"We wanted to come to see you -" Marlene spoke. 

"But Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let us." Mary finished. 

"How are you?" Lily asked, guiding you back to the Gryffindor table. 

"I'm fine." You smiled as you took a seat. "It was just a broken rib, nothing Madam Pomfrey couldn't fix, she just wanted me to stay overnight just in case." You gave them a reassuring smile as you started to pile food onto your plate. 

"Well, as long as your sure." Lily returned the smile. 

"Have you guys ever seen a black dog running around Hogwarts?" You asked, changing the subject entirely. 

"A black dog?" Mary raised her brows in confusion. 

"Yes."

"I thought you were the creature expert out of the four of us," Marlene added. 

"Doesn't mean I know how it got here." 

"What do you mean?" 

Looking around to make sure no one was listening to you, you spoke in a low voice so only your friends could hear. "Last night I snuck out to see the Thestrals -" 

"No surprise there," Lily spoke as she ate, earning a glare from you. 

"As I was riding into the forest Tenebris stopped and something barked at him. It was a black dog. He came up to the hospital wing with me, he was so cold the poor thing." You gave the dog sympathy as you spoke. "And when I woke up, he was gone. But he was real, his fur was still on the sheets." 

"Maybe it was a Muggles dog -"

"No muggle dog could ever make it into Hogwarts." You shut down Lily's claim. 

"Perhaps it belongs to a student," Mary suggested. 

"How could it? No one would be able to hide a massive black dog." 

"What about a Professor?" Marlene asked. 

"I doubt Slughorn is hiding a dog in the school, he doesn't strike me as a dog man either."