18. sacrifice

Almost an hour had passed and we had still heard nothing. The doors had remained closed, sealing us off from the rest of them.

I sat in complete silence, still seething in complete anger and disbelief.

Murphy sat behind me, trying to chew away at the ties that confined him. He had been doing so for the better part of the hour.

I had tried to tell him to stop, but of course he didn't listen to me. I had given up after that.

"John, enough." Emori finally ordered, breaking the silence she had fallen into. "You can't stop this."

"No. No, Emori. I'm not letting this happen to you." Murphy argued, his voice wavering.

I looked down, doing my best to remove myself from this discussion. I didn't need to hear this...if this was their final words to each other, I did not have a part in this.

"You have to." she whispered.

"What?"

"John, listen to me. Make them think you're okay with this. We make Clarke think you're still with her." Emori advised.

"Emori, I'll kill her if she even thinks about hurting--"

Murphy was cut off by Emori who's voice was now thick, and without even looking I could tell she was crying. "No. Damnit, John, think. Don't give them a reason to pick you next. Survive, please."

Moments after the words had left her mouth, the doors slid open and Clarke, Miller and Roan walked in. All of them wore solemn looks as the met our stares.

"It's time." Clarke declared, her eyes flitting down to the ground.

"Guys, just wait, okay? Hear me out?" Murphy begged, pushing himself to his feet.

"John." Emori hissed.

"It'll work this time." Clarke promised.

"Then how about we just go with that?" Emori begged, "And forget the test."

Clarke gave her a sad look before turning to Miller, giving him a small nod as the go-ahead.

As Miller began making his way to Emori, Clarke turned to me. "Can you promise you won't interfere?" she questioned. "I could use your help."

I glared at her before firmly shaking my head. "I'm not going to promise that." I answered, my voice cold.

Clarke gave me a look of disappointment before nodding. "Then I'm sorry."

I shook my head, not able to look at her any longer. Instead, I looked to Miller who was pulling an anesthetic stick from his pocket.

"Wait!" I announced, causing Miller to pause. I finally looked back at Clarke. "Test me." I begged. "It doesn't have to be Emori. I'm offering myself, Clarke--"

This was the best I could do at this point. As much as I wanted to put up an actual fight, convince Clarke and Abby to test me, I was confined in the cuffs, unable to do anything drastic. 

Clarke's face fell as her brows knit themselves together in confusion.

"What the hell are you doing?" Roan snapped, his own face clouding in shock.

I ignored him, refocusing on Clarke. "If you're so sure it will work, then test me." my voice cracked, revealing how terrified I truly was.

I knew that by testing me, not only would Emori be saved, but it would save Clarke and the others being turned into monsters. I was willingly volunteering, no innocent, unwilling person would have to die.