𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓 - 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐬

╭────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ──────╮

𝐎

September 1st, 1996

Dear Margot,

At first, I thought I was going crazy, for there was not a single chance that this boy had any interest in me. It must have all been in my head. At least now, things are easier, a bit more comprehensible. It is obvious he hates me.

He told me to back off and I will do just that. I promise, Margot.

I told myself I wouldn't even look in his general direction as I was getting off the train but he was present with his scent. An intoxicating smell of woods and fresh air could be detected as I walked down the corridor, the same smell that he had on him a few hours ago when he was ambushing me...

"You seem very absentminded today," said Neville as we walked from the platform to the wide road that would lead to the carriages.

"I do?"

"You keep listening to music," he said.

"Want to listen with me?" I said and handed him the left earbud.

"How do you put this thing on?"

I laughed when he tried to put it with the bud facing outwards and helped him. I put on an old song, Killer Queen by Queen, and Neville soon accepted the second earbud, immersed himself into the music and started swaying his head to and fro in the rhythm. He looked like a very shy boy but deep inside he was a wild spirit.

"Ophelia, you are a master of hiding your feelings," whispered Luna, who was wearing a pair of funny looking glasses and was swaying from side to side disorientated. Although I didn't know Luna for very long and hadn't had many full conversations with her, she seemed to be deeply insightful. I was beginning to suspect Neville had a bit of a crush on her and I was inclined to believe that they were perfect for each other, since they were both quiet people.

"Let's not mention that to Neville," I said. Luna smiled widely with a comprehensive look and to my surprise, she didn't insist on learning why I was so absent today.

As we got closer to the carriages, I exclaimed and ran to the front.

"Neville, look!" I said and jumped at the front of the carriage. "They brought some horses to pull the carriages this year! Look! They have wings!"

A majestic beast was stranded to the carriage. Its wings were leathery and its skin was dark brown. Although the eyes were white, indicating a blind pupil, the beast seemed to have sensed my presence. When I cautiously spread my hand to touch it, it flinched for a second but then drew its face near my fingers. It was a cold-blooded animal but looked peaceful and kind.

"How strange that they brought them here after five years. They weren't here when we left in June. The carriages could carry themselves perfectly well. I hope they being treated fairly. I'm tired of begging for signatures on my petitions against unnecessary animal use in Hogwarts," I said.

"You might not want to shout that, Ophelia," said Neville and closed up. Luna didn't follow but rather sat herself on the carriage and opened her Quibbler.

"Why not? Dumbeldore is being a bit more careless than usual these days. Allowing second-years to use animals for educational purposes is one thing; using these beautiful animals, when the carriages can be bewitched to ride themselves, is just plain cruel!"