08. How to Protect Your Friends

I stood in silence, staring down at my phone

Call ended.

I gazed at those two words, unable to move, not wanting to believe what had just happened. Everything felt still. I wasn't aware of anything else around me. I didn't know if my heart was still beating, if my brain was still operational, if my lungs were sucking in oxygen.

Call ended.

I couldn't process a single thought. I couldn't move a single muscle. My eyes were glued onto the screen, the small, harmless-looking phone where, just moments ago, the voice of the most dangerous being in Toronto - perhaps even Canada - had spoken.

I look forward to meeting you in person.

As soon as his words echoed through my head, my brain jumpstarted, and I got control over myself again. I threw my phone back onto the bed, taking a step away from it, as if I was afraid he'd be able to reach through the phone and transport me to wherever the hell he is now.

He's in Riverdale Park, Reese. Far too close for comfort.

I need to leave, now. I need to get out of the city, fast, and leave this place behind - I'd return when things calmed down here. When the supernatural beings let down their guard once again, and I'd be able to fulfill my life's purpose without too much grief.

But first, I had another thing to do. Though I wasn't noble enough to sacrifice myself to save Opal and Kyle from taking the heat of my disappearance, I could at least warn them of what was coming for them. I would tell them to leave the apartment, now. Go stay with Kyle's family in Hamilton. Go find Opal's grandmother in Port Perry.

Maybe I could hide them in my old apartment.

The thought came to me, but I quickly shooed it away. It was a stupid idea. The family-sized apartment in Mississauga was bound to be watched, now that the pack knew who I was. The childhood home of Reese Hearne wasn't safe.

My bedroom door opened, and I jumped, muscles tightening, and spun to face to door, relaxing when I realized it was Opal standing in the doorway. She frowned.

"I couldn't find anything you might need..." she said. "Are you okay? I mean, despite the circumstance? You seem more... on edge than usual. At least, more on edge than you were..." she trailed off.

"Come into the living room." I hoisted my bag over my shoulder. It was heavy - heavier than it should have been, but there were some items I couldn't bear to leave behind. "I have to talk to you and Kyle, now."

She took in my change of tone, the charged way with which I held myself, and nodded once. I glanced down at my phone, lying on my bed, and, after a brief hesitation, grabbed it and stuffed it into my pocket. I'd buy a new one as soon as I could - but for now, I needed a way to stay in contact with Opal, to make sure she was safe.