Chapter 31

No, no, no, this can't be real.

Yangyang knew that tears were rolling down his face as he could do nothing but stare at burning car, the car that belonged to Ten.

It was clear that the car had exploded, meaning that the driver was definitely dead. It was a fact that Yangyang refused to accept, unable to believe that his mentor was gone from this world.

"How did this happen?" Winwin breathed out and Yangyang could tell that he was tearing up too.

"It was supposed to be a simple race, winner gets the other person's car." Hendery told them. "Ten said it would be an easy one too."

"Dirty play, that's what happened. Look at the tire marks on the road." It was Lucas' voice but Yangyang couldn't see past the tears uncontrollably falling from his eyes.

Yangyangs hands were in fists as he closed his eyes, wanting to take down whoever was behind all this. He felt his knees go weak, and would have probably fallen over if it weren't for the girl that held onto him tightly.

"It's okay, let it out." Xia whispered softly into Yangyang's ear as she let him rest his chin on her shoulder. "I'm right here, and I'll be here with you every night until you're okay again."

Yangyang sobbed, his cries filling the night as he let himself fall apart in Xia's arms.

"He can't be... no he can't be..." Yangyang cried into Xia's body.

Ten can't be dead.

...

Xia took a deep breath before entering the room with a tray of food in her hands. She placed the tray down on the bedside table before gently shaking the male lying with his back to her in bed.

Yangyang was broken, and Xia didn't know what else to do. She held him every night as he cried, trying to comfort him. Despite the fact that he thanked her and reassured her that she was the best girlfriend he could ever ask for, Xia knew that nothing she did could ever replace the hole in heart created by the death of his mentor.

Ten's death hung a big shadow over many people in Neo City. The students of the college were given a week off as they mourn the death of one of their own and the dangers of street racing reinforced. That still didn't stop the gangs from racing but many of the racers that knew Ten were taking a break.

No one was really sure what had happened that night, as the crash was far from the people, meaning that they could all only assume. According to Winwin and Lucas, Ten was very as adamant on passing quietly, so there was no investigation involved either.

It was clear that Yangyang was probably hurting the most, as Ten taught him everything he knew and loved about racing. Not having Ten there was something Yangyang could never get used to, and Xia knew that it would take a very long time for things to return to normal again.

"Yangyang, I brought you food." Xia said softly. The male turned around, revealing his face that was puffy from crying.

"I honestly don't deserve you." Yangyang mumbled as Xia helped him up. Xia shook her head, pushing his hands out of his face.

"That's ridiculous, don't say that." Xia said cupping his face in her hand. She leaned forward, giving him a soft kiss.

"I'm thankful for you, you know that right." Yangyang said as Xia placed the tray on his lap, full of his favourite dishes. "This would have definitely been so much harder without you."

"It's hard either way." Xia said, placing the chopsticks in Yangyang's hand. "But it will get better with time, I promise."

Yangyang nodded, slowly putting the food is mouth. He never really ate much, only eating a fraction of what Xia had prepared but the fact that he was eating was good enough for her.