4. Better For Myself

❝ better for myself ❞━ FARRAH ━

━ FARRAH ━

One thing I hated about visiting my sister - it was a constant reminder about what happened with Michael at her wedding. Especially since she hosted the ceremony and reception in the backyard of this very house.

I was out there dancing and enjoying my time, fully aware that my date probably left to go to the bathroom - I was just too drunk to realize that he'd been gone for longer than usual.

Then came the urge for me to pee so I set out on my journey to find the bathroom in a drunken haze. Of course, I knew where it was but navigating was much harder than I thought after drowning in Hennessy.

When I found it and opened the door, I was met with Michael's insufficient ass jutting up into one of my sister's bridesmaids on the counter.

Guess a Maid of Honor was too good for him.

Maybe I'm being dramatic in bristling uncomfortably on the couch, but I don't really care. I loved Michael - we had our own place together, for Christ's Sake. So you could see it was all the more satisfying when I kicked him out and drowned myself in his expensive whiskey that night.

"Tea?" Faith draws me from my thoughts and back into the real world. It seems she already knew my answer because she has a mug right in front of my face.

When I take it from her with a thank you, she plops down beside me and sighs, "I am so tired. Nylah was up all night teething and she wouldn't take the ring so I had her latching on to my nipple like a damn pacifier."

I silently thank the Lord that I don't have to go through that and probably never will. As much as I work with kids all day every day, I can't see myself pregnant and with children of my own. I've heard too many horror stories of pregnancy and witnessed too many babies leave the hospital without their mothers.

I snicker, "Sucks to be you. Literally."

Faith rolls her eyes and turns to me, "How was your date last week? You didn't tell me about it - was it that bad?" I send her a look. She hisses, "Ooh, was he rude to the waiter? Left his wallet in his car and had you pay? Talked about himself too much?"

This draws a laugh from me, "He wasn't that bad - I just think I could've done better."

Even though it's been a week since the date and the moment we shared didn't even pass a minute, I couldn't stop thinking about the Italian man at the restaurant. His touch on my skin and his intoxicating scent. His voice was enough to send shivers down my spine for days.

I need to get over myself. It wasn't that deep.

Faith scoffs and leans forward, dipping her hand into the bag of chips she set out and retrieving a handful, "Girl, that's up to you. I know there's somebody out there who's waiting for somebody like you - you just gotta put yourself out there and allow him to find you. Not the other way around."