Chapter 7

Erwin Smith was always a smart young man

Erwin Smith was always a smart young man. As a young boy he excelled in school, his hand often raised to ask questions, seeking out as much information as possible. At home, his father usually found Erwin with his nose stuck in a book, his young, keen eyes darting across the pages in wonder. After the sudden death of his father, Erwin found himself having to learn to do everything on his own. As he got older, he prided himself on his problem solving skills. Erwin was always someone who tried to see the whole board game, always thinking several steps ahead.

However, in this moment, Erwin could not figure out what he did to make Ang ignore him.

Ever since they'd first met, he couldn't help himself. She was a puzzle he was desperate to solve. She was shy at first, unsure of herself. But eventually she began to open up, she talked about her times in Shiganshina living with Hanji, and how she worked as a barmaid for their local tavern. She talked about wanting to see her family again, how she missed her older brother, and how she felt frustrated when she couldn't recall anything before the age of 19.

Erwin knew she kept her hair in two French braids to keep it out of the way, but her bangs often came lose and fell into her face anyways. He knew she usually preferred tea over coffee, except when she was designated lookout up in the watchtower in the early mornings. He knew she, like him, took excessive notes during their class lessons. He knew she didn't always listen to Hanji when she rambled on but made the effort to look like she was listening anyways.

But Erwin's favorite thing about her was how she challenged him. She discussed with him over his strategies and notes. She was headstrong and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She gave her opinions and constructive criticism in a way that was helpful and didn't put you below her. She treated everyone with the same respect, she treated them as equals.

But lately, she hadn't been herself. She'd been avoiding him. Erwin thought back on the last month, he didn't think he'd done anything to upset her. Their last couple weeks had been the same as always. Get up, train, lunch, lessons, train, dinner, free time, curfew. Every single day for the past 7 months. Even now, as she sat across from him in her usually spot, she had yet to even look up at him.

"Ang, I hear your scores are getting pretty high already." Hanji spoke up from his left. "Word is you might make the top ten." Ang smirked before looking up at her.

"I think everybody at this table will make the top ten, Hanji." She pointed to each person individually as she continued. "Rico and Nanaba have great negotiation skills. Nile is good with executing different leadership tactics. Mike is exceptional during dummy practice, and his ODM skills are amazing." She then pointed to Hanji. "And you, with your big brain of yours, are at the top of the list in our lessons." She then looked to the man sitting across from her. "And we all know Mr. Perfect will make the top spot." She smirked.

"What about you?" Erwin asked her. Ang paused, her tea halfway to her mouth.

"What about me?" She took a sip before setting down her mug on the table in front of her.