Aftermath (Alternative 1 End)

Corpse's Pov

It's been a month since Sykkuno had passed, it felt like not much has been better since then but I've been trying to adjust. Rae, Toast and I haven't been talking recently, I feel more moody nowadays.

I've been thinking about taking my own life, but I never had the guts to that, I already disappointed Sykkuno once, I don't wanna disappoint him again by breaking his promise.

Though Bimbus and Sykkuno's scarf are the only things that I have left of Sykkuno, most little things remind me of him. I hope Rae and Toast are doing better than me.

Wherever I go, I always feel like there's a heavy weight pressing down on my soul, I always feel so.. uneasy, yet sad. Seated down at the garden bench, I watched as leaves fell and drifted away from trees. I recounted vague memories of this place, Sykkuno confessed here, I rejected it, now I feel like absolute trash for that.

Now that I think about it, it always seems like whenever something goes wrong for me, someone or something just fixes it for me. If I forgot to feed Bingus and Bimbus, I come back home and see small pieces of food in their bowls, if I forget to bring my homework or books, they would magically be in my bag, if I forget to charge my phone the previous night, the next day, it'll just be fully charged.

If Sykkuno was serious about watching over me, Rae and Toast, then he was doing great at it, he's probably saved me from getting into trouble.

~~~~~~

12:37am

My bed was soft, Bimbus and Bingus were sleeping on the couch today, they were basically snuggling. The lights were off, I was surrounded completely by darkness, surprisingly, I was able to fall asleep peacefully for once, though it was odd.

"..se."

"..rpse."

".. Corpse?"

I 'open' my eyes in what seems to be my.. dreams? Though I barely have any. I look around and saw Sykkuno, without his scarf.

"Hey Corpse!" Sykkuno..? What? "Don't worry Corpse, I'm just in your dream, I'm not actually alive." There was a sad smile plastered onto his face. I walked up to him and tried touching his head, but if course, I couldn't feel anything despite having my hand placed on his head. "I honestly wish you were still with me. Sy." He giggled slightly. "I've always been by your side, just not visible. But I think you've noticed that by now." If that's true, then I'm glad he hasn't left my side yet, even after all this time. "How are you still so nice to me, I did a lot of horrible things to you, didn't I?" I'm confused, who has that much patience. "Yeah, but I forgive you! I still love you after all, though I can't Physically be with you." Sykkuno..

"Hey.. Corpse, you've been carrying this burden this whole time, haven't you?" What? "H-Huh-" does he know about it after all? "You've been blaming yourself for my death, Corpse. It's been a mass that's been building up, you self-loathe everyday, it's been eating you up alive, internally. Just like my Hanahaki." I couldn't feel it, but I was definitely tearing up at that point. "Corpse, please, don't carry on with this unease anymore, it hurts to see you like that."

"How could I ever forgive myself, I'm the reason you suffered and died, whether you like it or not, I was too stupid to think straight and I hurt everybody in the process, Rae, Toast, even myself. What's there to forgive myself for?" Sykkuno pulled me into a hug, one like from that time in the hospital. He caressed my head as I layed against his chest, it was a kind of relief.

"Corpse.."

"It's time you let go."

~~~~~~

I jolted awake and sat up almost immediately, it was morning already. I woke up before I could even say anything to Sykkuno, goddammit.

'it's time you let go.' those words echoed through my mind, I wonder if I'll ever see him in my dreams again. Rae and Toast, I should contact them again.

I told them to meet me in the school garden after school, I wanted to see how they were doing, I promised Sykkuno after all.

"I'm here.." Toast strolled into the garden, sadness evident on his face. "Hey you guys." Rae had soon followed. "Why'd you call us here, Corpse?" Toast asked in a bored, tired tone. "I wanted to see how you guys were doing, better than me hopefully. It's been tough since he passed." It was silent for a moment.

"He confessed to you here, didn't he?" I nodded my head. "Yes, and I made the worst decision possible." Guilt, I finally understood what Sykkuno meant by 'this burden' that I've been carrying around. I can't forgive myself. "I don't fucking get it, Why'd Sykkuno have to die and not me? Why'd everything have to turn out this way?" Toast slammed his first against the bench. "He was like a little brother to me, yet he left before I could even fucking say goodbye!" Tears formed in his eyes. "Why..?" Toast was pretty shaken up, honestly it wasn't his fault for feeling that way.

"I wanted Sykkuno to be happier than anything I could have imagined, yet, he's no longer physically here with us anymore, to think that he had so many problems that we never noticed." Rae hugged herself. Everyone was pretty emotional today. "Sykkuno always loved me, yet I could never say it back, nor could I show it, even before he died. I wish I could've been better, that way, Sykkuno would've still been here." We all had different struggles, but it was clear, we all had the burden of guilt.

"Corpse, Toast, I'm sure we can all agree that we miss Sykkuno, Can't we?" I forced a faint smile, but I didn't reply. "Yes, we can Rae." Toast looked up at the sky. Weirdly enough, it felt like a warm sensation had wrapped itself around me, almost like a hug, Sykkuno, it was most definitely him.

~~~~~~

"Hey again Corpse!" That same familiar voice rang out. "Hey Sy." He sat next to me. "I uh, saw what happened at the garden earlier today, I wish that I didn't cause you all so much grief, it was horrible to see you all so down." I laughed it off. "We miss you lots Sy. You have no idea."

"Has Bimbus been good? I hope he hasn't been too much trouble." I giggled. "He's been great, he's been keeping Bingus company every time I'm out, he's been helping my mood every once in a while."  Sykkuno grinned, covering it with his hand as usual, he hasn't forgotten about covering his mouth after all. Sykkuno didn't have his scarf, but I think it's because I have it. "That's great news Corpse!"

"Sykkuno before I wake up, will you still talk to me in my dreams?" He nodded. "Yep! I love talking to you anyways." I looked at him. "Well then, before you go, I'll just say something I've been wanting to say to you but never could." He leaned closer towards me, head slightly tilted.

"I love you, Sy."

------

-Aftermath, Alternative 1. End-
Eating me alive.

WOOOOOOOO IM NOT DEAD HAHSHJSNSJSJDJNDND

-author

(1229 words)