34

The loud knock makes me cringe a little, not quite ready to face my dad.

"Come in," I call, wiping my cheeks frantically to dry the tears.

"Heard it didn't go so well with your mum," I'm surprised by the voice. Looking up to see Cedric standing in the doorway and I swear my heart could burst in pure love because suddenly it all matters so much less.

"What are you doing here?" I question, despite my damp cheeks I can't stop the smile on my face.

"Your dad showed up at the ice cream shop. Swear I thought you'd died or something with the way he was rambling. Eventually he calmed down and told me it hadn't gone well and that not even the twins could coax you out of your room," he explains, closing the door gently behind him.

"Thank you for coming," I smile up at him and he chuckles a little

"Would go anywhere for you sweetheart," he smiles in return. I watch as he toes his shoes off, pulling his hoodie from his frame to reveal the little ice cream shop uniform and dropping down onto the bed next to me.

"What happened?" He questions carefully, trying to find the right balance in making me talk about it and not wanting to push too hard.

I let out a sigh, adjusting myself on the bed to be laying on his chest.

"She's just- I don't know. I mean she was trying but I just- I looked at her and it made me so angry. She was talking to me like she knew me. Like she had the right to tell me what to do and give me advice and I'm just sat there thinking how are you seriously trying to give me advice when you got pregnant at 19 and dumped your kid on your 18 year old ex boyfriend and then waltzed in nearly 17 years later acting like all of that means nothing. Talking like you're superior or like you know the first thing about me. It's just- it felt wrong,"

"You just have to think, you're better than her. You are so amazing. You're kind and you care so much. And you're so smart and beautiful and funny. No one compares. Definitely not her. She's never going to compete with you, you're a better person at 17 than she is at 36 and that's not going to change. She does not deserve you and you don't have to let her have you if you don't want her," he speaks quietly, the words just for me. Hands stroking up and down my back comfortingly.

"I don't deserve you. Always know what to say and how to make me feel better," I sigh

"Hey, none of that. Everyone knows I'm beyond lucky that you forgave me for everything I did to you," he smiles gently although the guilt in his eyes is obvious.

"Fuck that I was so petty and we were both toxic as fuck,"

"Not anymore though. All sorted and calmed down and grown up. Proper relationship now,"

"Yeah. I just have one question," I can't help the smirk on my face when he looks at me in curiosity "I was going to go with Klaus to the ball and the Hermione said it would be so much better if I took the moral high ground and didn't-"

"You little shit. Fucking so much worse for me. Felt like shit with the whole I didn't want to hurt you when I was there with the worst person I could have possibly taken," he exclaims but he's smiling, all of it feels so insignificant now. It was hard and it hurt but now I was so aware that Cedric would do anything for me and I knew he knew I would do the same for him. I trust Ced with my life and that's all that really matters in the long run.

"Sorry lovie," I grin, pressing a kiss to his cheek

"Fucking Hermione," he smirks, taking my chin between his thumb and pointer finger and moving my face gently to press a lingering kiss to my lips. "You need to talk to your dad. He's a wreck thinking you hate him,"

"What?" I sit up quickly "why does he think I hate him?"

"You refused to talk to him,"

"Yeah but I was just upset. Not his fault he knocked up a fucking bitch. Well I mean it is but-" I cut myself off with a sigh, feeling guilty I let the best dad on the planet think for a second he was anything less.

"I need to go, Justin's waiting for me at my house. Talk to your dad, and the twins they're worrying about you and all," he instructs

"Okay," I nod "how are you getting home?"

"I'll apparate," he smiles, clambering off the bed as I follow suit. He wraps his arms around me in one last hug, pressing a kiss to the top of my head "I'm really proud of you sweetheart," he smiles

"Thank you. I love you," 

"Good, cause I love you," he grins, pressing a kiss to my lips quickly. "See you next week for your birthday?"

"See you then," I return, he releases me from his arms, sending me a playful wink and then he disappears from in front of me.