23. the victor

-an-

just a little note before this chapter starts. please make sure to VOTE and COMMENT if you are enjoying this story. your support means the world to me xoxox

okay now onto the chapter :)

-

Night had fallen shortly after Bellamy had announced his plan to Kane and I. I hadn't seen him since that conversation. He had left immediately to prepare himself for what he was about to do, meanwhile Kane and I had returned to the Throne Room where the other advisors and ambassadors were anxiously awaiting news on their own champions. 

The nerves I felt with knowing Octavia was down on that battlefield were nothing compared to knowing that both her and Bellamy were down there. Two of the people I cared about most in the world were at risk of being killed at any moment. 

I flitted back and forth between the balcony and the gathering place of the other clan representatives, too nervous to stay in one place for too long. 

In the time I spent outside, most of it consisted of me scanning the the streets with the monocular, hoping to see a sign of both Bellamy and Octavia. Hoping they were still okay. 

It felt like too much time had passed, and Bellamy had still yet to rejoin us. 

At this point, I was standing beside Kane, nervously pulling at my fingers as I awaited any news. 

"Four warriors remain!" Gaia announced to the increasingly anxious crowd. "Roan kom Azgeda, Luna kom Flokru, Guara kom Podakru and Octavia kom Skaikru."

Relief flooded my body knowing Octavia was still okay, still alive. But not being able to know if Bellamy was alive was driving me insane. 

I turned to Kane, giving him a small smile. "I need a breather." I explained. "I'm just going to step into the hall for a minute."

"Avery," Kane whispered, grabbing onto my arm and preventing me from moving. "You're not doing what I think you're about to do."

I glared at him, pulling my arm from his grasp. "I'm not that stupid." I promised. "I'll be back in a few minutes...I just need to get out of this room."

He stared me down for a minute before finally sighing. "Okay. But if you're not back in here in five minutes, I'm coming to get you."

I nodded before turning my back on him, making my way through the crowd and toward the corridor. 

Stepping out of the room felt like a breath of fresh air. It felt like the first time I had distanced myself from the Conclave all day. 

Both my mind and body were breaking down, a result of the last few months. Truthfully, it felt like I hadn't had a break since we got down to Earth. 

I could only imagine how Octavia felt in this moment. For her, it was either kill or be killed, something that would take a toll on any sane person. 

I slid down against the wall, pulling my knees to my chest as I dropped my head down. 

I just wanted it to be over, all of it. I wanted to be able to wake up in the morning and feel something other than complete and utter dread. I wanted to be happy. But it seemed like that may never be a reality. 

My best friend was either going to die today, or she was going to survive, the next five years of our lives being spent underground. 

It was comical really. Because for Octavia and I, our whole lives were spent underground so-to-speak.